From: RodMcKay on
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 20:09:23 GMT, jellybean stonerfish
<stonerfish(a)geocities.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 13:01:12 -0500, RodMcKay wrote:
>
>> The only problem I have so far re the Linux interface is something I'm
>> very picky about, I'm afraid, the file browser/manager, which in Window$
>> is called Window$ Explorer (WE). I don't actually know how that's
>> referred to in Linux but I really need to find one to use over the one
>> native in Linux since I don't like Linux's look and feel much. It's
>> clunky for me.
>
>Linux is just the kernel. The file manager you are using is dependent on
>which desktop environment you are using. If you give more information
>about what you have installed, you may get a more helpful answer.
>
>If you are looking for a file manager with the exact same layout, and buttons
>you have in your ms-explorer, you probably won't find it. From what I have
>seen of the windows file manager, I don't know why you would.

Sorry about delaying responding, RL got in the way (job issues, etc).

I've not yet managed the transitioning over to Linux. Though I
haven't installed anything yet, I've found Fedora 11 is my favourite.

I know you Linux folks are much more technically geared and the
constant criticism I get has been a tad frustrating. Remember folks
that that's why Window$ has been so popular. Because it's so
GUI-based, it's easy for most anyone to use. I understand where you
all are coming from (not responding to you here directly, jellybean,
answering in general to various posts in this thread like the
criticism of coming into small town and trying to change it - I'll get
to that in a second) but the changes to an entirely new OS are trying
to daunt me.

I've migrated OSs and all OS apps before and have navigated different
systems over the years but this is the largest leap. Also, I'll never
become as proficient as you geeky Linux folks here (_not_ said
unkindly, I admire that, btw). But I don't have the time. I _am_,
however, a power user. I'm used to an interface like WE, or
_whatever_ the hell you guys have to name it. _Whatever_ it's called,
the concept is what I'm getting at.

The distributions I've tried _all_ have a file manager system that is
clunky _to me_. And, no, in my case, the terminal is not a solution.
Thank you very much, I _do_ understand where y'all are coming from but
I'm _not_ going to back to DOS-like days (yes, pardon the Window$, or
pre-Window$ equivalent language if I may), I _prefer_ GUIs thank you!!
SO SHOOT ME <lol>. I navigate around my system very much. I go all
over the place and I need a GUI that is a bit more flexible than any
in the LiveCD distributions. All of them tend to have the same
limitations _for_me_.

An example, when in Window$, if I'm saving something somewhere and I
see a file that I need to look at or move, etc., etc., I can do so
right from the SAVE AS window which somehow piggybacks and accesses WE
capabilities, etc., etc. In Linux, I have to stop what I'm doing and
navigate around to same spot and do the same thing from outside via
Browse. I'd just like ease of navigation I'm used to,

I _just_ would like something GUI to replace the file manager, or
WHATEVER the hell you guys want to call it, so that I can have
something that looks like your typical Window$ explorer look and feel.

I DON'T want WE, I'm leaving Window$ to get away from anything
Window$. I DO want something that acts like it because it's efficient
and streamlined except for not having entire line highlighting and a
couple of minor things that I'm sure a Linux file manager replacement
could be tweaked to do.

We've been told that Linux gives us a lot more flexibility. That's
all I'm looking for.

As for the large town/small town thing, well, that's how Linux is sold
to the world. Complete "customizability". Well, hell, that's what I
like about it! If I don't like something in Linux, I imagine there
are limitations, but also, there's a good chance that I can change it.
I can worry about the complexity and headaches while I'm trying to do
that, but that's one of the reasons for migrating to Linux.

So that's what I'm looking to do.

I'm just trying to lay groundwork. I've not installed Linux yet.
I've worked with LiveCDs only. I can't stop day-to-day productivity
until a couple of major issues are seen to. This is not primary but
it is a secondary major issue.

Thanks once again. And for those kind Linux souls, thank you so very,
very much for your patience and understanding. I won't allow this to
be a daunting task but it is hard to be doing all myself on this end,
ultimately.

We Window$ users are coming over to Linux. I would think those of
you not-so-kind Linux souls would be more happy than dismayed by
that??? I personally would love to see the end of Window$. Surely
that makes us united in our common goals??

I am not the enemy. Nor am I part of any invading hordes from the big
city. I love this smaller town and I want to adapt. But I can't be
left completely without _something_ of what I'm used to. You wouldn't
want that for yourself, why wish it on someone else??!!

I am green. I don't want nuclear power plants and I probably do more
for the environment as a raw vegan than many of you local residents!
Yet I'm not going on an on about things like ... <g> {Take the
equivalent analogy re this Window$/Linux thing here ...}

Seriously guys, let's all lighten up about this Window$/Linux thing.
Reminds me of our own English/French issues up here. I keep wanting
to yell to Quebequers ... come on, folks, time to forget the Plains of
Abraham and get on with life!! <lol>

No flames intended. No flame war started here. Thanks everyone.

From: Jasen Betts on
On 2010-03-26, RodMcKay <NoJunkMail(a)No.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 20:09:23 GMT, jellybean stonerfish
><stonerfish(a)geocities.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 13:01:12 -0500, RodMcKay wrote:
>>
>>> The only problem I have so far re the Linux interface is something I'm
>>> very picky about, I'm afraid, the file browser/manager, which in Window$
>>> is called Window$ Explorer (WE). I don't actually know how that's
>>> referred to in Linux but I really need to find one to use over the one
>>> native in Linux since I don't like Linux's look and feel much. It's
>>> clunky for me.
>>
>>Linux is just the kernel. The file manager you are using is dependent on
>>which desktop environment you are using. If you give more information
>>about what you have installed, you may get a more helpful answer.
>>
>>If you are looking for a file manager with the exact same layout, and buttons
>>you have in your ms-explorer, you probably won't find it. From what I have
>>seen of the windows file manager, I don't know why you would.
>
> Sorry about delaying responding, RL got in the way (job issues, etc).
>
> I've not yet managed the transitioning over to Linux. Though I
> haven't installed anything yet, I've found Fedora 11 is my favourite.
>
> I know you Linux folks are much more technically geared and the
> constant criticism I get has been a tad frustrating. Remember folks
> that that's why Window$ has been so popular. Because it's so
> GUI-based, it's easy for most anyone to use.

all I hear about windows is all the problems people have with it.

> The distributions I've tried _all_ have a file manager system that is
> clunky _to me_.

what problems are tou experiencing with the file managers? many of
them are configurable in their behavior.

> And, no, in my case, the terminal is not a solution.
> Thank you very much, I _do_ understand where y'all are coming from but
> I'm _not_ going to back to DOS-like days (yes, pardon the Window$, or
> pre-Window$ equivalent language if I may), I _prefer_ GUIs thank you!!
> SO SHOOT ME <lol>. I navigate around my system very much. I go all
> over the place and I need a GUI that is a bit more flexible than any
> in the LiveCD distributions. All of them tend to have the same
> limitations _for_me_.

live cds are going to be limited just because theres only so much you
can fit on a disc,

> An example, when in Window$, if I'm saving something somewhere and I
> see a file that I need to look at or move, etc., etc., I can do so
> right from the SAVE AS window which somehow piggybacks and accesses WE
> capabilities, etc., etc.

This is more a limitation of the save-as window than the file manager
This widget most likely comes from a shared libarary which can be
upgraded to give more features, all you need to do is send lots of
money to the developers (or convince others to) and then wait a bit
the less you spend the more you wait.

There's a possibility that microsoft (or possibly apple) has a patent
on doing file manipulation in the save-as window and so use of that
feature would require a microsoft licence (or a good legal defense)
in areas where the patent is considered valid.

> In Linux, I have to stop what I'm doing and
> navigate around to same spot and do the same thing from outside via
> Browse. I'd just like ease of navigation I'm used to,

> I _just_ would like something GUI to replace the file manager, or
> WHATEVER the hell you guys want to call it, so that I can have
> something that looks like your typical Window$ explorer look and feel.

Which bits do you want?

> We've been told that Linux gives us a lot more flexibility. That's
> all I'm looking for.

> As for the large town/small town thing, well, that's how Linux is sold
> to the world. Complete "customizability". Well, hell, that's what I
> like about it! If I don't like something in Linux, I imagine there
> are limitations, but also, there's a good chance that I can change it.

Yeah see above re the save as dialogs if you are prepared to learn C
and the internals of GTK you can add features to the save as dialog
used by most gnome and GTK based applications (instead of getting
someone else to). Apps based round kde lesstif, or xaw etc will
not be improved by that change though, but they can be fixed by a
similar tactic.

> I can worry about the complexity and headaches while I'm trying to do
> that, but that's one of the reasons for migrating to Linux.
>
> So that's what I'm looking to do.
>
> I'm just trying to lay groundwork. I've not installed Linux yet.
> I've worked with LiveCDs only. I can't stop day-to-day productivity
> until a couple of major issues are seen to. This is not primary but
> it is a secondary major issue.

Find (or buy) some disk space from somewhere and go to dual boot.
install a real linux distro, having the extra free ram will help the
experience quite a bit.

> We Window$ users are coming over to Linux. I would think those of
> you not-so-kind Linux souls would be more happy than dismayed by
> that??? I personally would love to see the end of Window$. Surely
> that makes us united in our common goals??

Windows is not the problem. Microsoft is the problem :)

From: Dan C on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 14:13:37 -0500, RodMcKay wrote:

<nothing useful, all deleted>

___________________
/| /| | |
||__|| | Please do |
/ O O\__ NOT |
/ \ feed the |
/ \ \ trolls |
/ _ \ \ ______________|
/ |\____\ \ ||
/ | | | |\____/ ||
/ \|_|_|/ \ __||
/ / \ |____| ||
/ | | /| | --|
| | |// |____ --|
* _ | |_|_|_| | \-/
*-- _--\ _ \ // |
/ _ \\ _ // | /
* / \_ /- | - | |
* ___ c_c_c_C/ \C_c_c_c____________

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he stuck a pin in Hillary's implants.
From: J G Miller on
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 13:01:12 -0500, RodMcKay wrote:

> So if anyone can recommend a decent file manager/browser

A file manager and a web browser are two different things.

For a file manager you should try tux commander.

<http://tuxcmd.sourceforge.NET/>

For a web browser you should try Firefox.

<http://www.mozilla.COM/en-US/firefox/firefox.html>

> I'd really appreciate it! thx

And *after* you have installed them and tried them out,
it would be appreciated if you came back and provided
some feed back.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to J G Miller:

> On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 13:01:12 -0500, RodMcKay wrote:
>
>> So if anyone can recommend a decent file manager/browser
>
> A file manager and a web browser are two different things.
>
> For a file manager you should try tux commander.
>
> <http://tuxcmd.sourceforge.NET/>
>
> For a web browser you should try Firefox.
>
> <http://www.mozilla.COM/en-US/firefox/firefox.html>
>
>> I'd really appreciate it! thx
>
> And *after* you have installed them and tried them out, it would be
> appreciated if you came back and provided some feed back.

For a "I'm used to Windows" user, Thunar or Nautilus might be better
options. Then there is the "old faithfull", Xfe.

Not sure why you suggested the BETA TuxCommander when the original
Midnight Commander is just as useful and pretty much a "works on
anything" standard.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.