From: Ron on
On 8/12/2010 9:36 AM, Brent wrote:
> What is the recommended freeware for archiving license serials before doing
> a Windows XP re-install?
>
> I googled and found plenty but I was hoping to find the 'right' one.
>
> The first one I tried was LicenseCrawler 0.42 freeware:
> http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/use-licensecrawler-to-recover-your-lost-software-serial-numbers/
>
> It reported my serial numbers for:
> - Adobe Acrobat serial number
> - Belarc Advisor serial number
> - Microsoft Windows serial number
> - Sonic MyDVD serial number
> - TurboTax serial number
> etc.
>
> But it didn't report for some reason the Microsoft Office 2007 serial
> number.
>
> What is a good freeware application to report serial numbers before we wipe
> out and re-install Windows XP Home Edition?

LicenseCrawler is pretty good, imo, but maybe Belarc Advisor will do
what you want. I use it occasionally, preferring to install a fresh copy
when I need it.

hth
From: GlowingBlueMist on
On 8/12/2010 12:09 PM, Ron wrote:
> On 8/12/2010 9:36 AM, Brent wrote:
>> What is the recommended freeware for archiving license serials before
>> doing
>> a Windows XP re-install?
>>
>> I googled and found plenty but I was hoping to find the 'right' one.
>>
>> The first one I tried was LicenseCrawler 0.42 freeware:
>> http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/use-licensecrawler-to-recover-your-lost-software-serial-numbers/
>>

>> It reported my serial numbers for:
>> - Adobe Acrobat serial number
>> - Belarc Advisor serial number
>> - Microsoft Windows serial number
>> - Sonic MyDVD serial number
>> - TurboTax serial number
>> etc.
>>
>> But it didn't report for some reason the Microsoft Office 2007 serial
>> number.
>>
>> What is a good freeware application to report serial numbers before we
>> wipe
>> out and re-install Windows XP Home Edition?
>
> LicenseCrawler is pretty good, imo, but maybe Belarc Advisor will do
> what you want. I use it occasionally, preferring to install a fresh copy
> when I need it.
>
> http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
>
> hth
As suggested Belarc Advisor is a good one.

Another one that I like to use is SIW or System Information for Windows.

It can be found at http://www.gtopala.com.

I like that it does not need to be installed as you can run it directly
from the .exe file.
From: Ron on
On 8/12/2010 7:43 PM, Johnw wrote:
> hmmm formulated the question :
>> Johnw <johnmattmel(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:i4201p$9v1$1(a)news.eternal-
>> september.org:
>>
>>> Brent submitted this idea :
>
>> SIW is good and Nirsoft's Produkey also can handle the serial #'s:
>>
>> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html
>>
>> ProduKey is a small utility that displays the ProductID and the CD-Key
>> of Microsoft Office (Microsoft Office 2003, Microsoft Office 2007),
>> Windows (Including Windows 7 and Windows Vista), Exchange Server, and
>> SQL Server installed on your computer. You can view this information
>> for your current running operating system, or for another operating
>> system/computer - by using command-line options. This utility can be
>> useful if you lost the product key of your Windows/Office, and you
>> want to reinstall it on your computer.
>
> Yep, there are a lot out there, here are a few more.
>
> Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder
> http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
>
> Softkey Revealer
> http://www.blogsdna.com/5641/recover-product-key-of-installed-software-with-softkey-revealer.htm
>

> Win KeyFinder
> http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Decrypting-Decoding/WinKeyFinder.shtml
>
> http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/WinKeyFinder-Screenshot-17673.html
> http://www.winkeyfinder.com/

Another one I've used is SoftKey Revealer. ~160Kb, just unzip into a
folder and run. You can print or save to a document. Check the supported
products list - Office is there.
http://sites.google.com/site/cakirbey/softkeyrevealer

hth