From: Jukka K. Korpela on
Roy A. wrote:

>> Is it really necessary to set explicit widths at all?
>
> Yes it would be necessary.

Just in case someone might take such "advice" seriously: "Roy A." is either
trolling or very ignorant. It is unnecessary to tell the difference.

> Without you would get a tiny column with
> wrapped text to the left.

In the absence of width settings, browsers allocate widths according to
contents. Mostly this is better than guesses by authors, especially
pixel-valued guesses.

Sometimes some tuning is needed, but then the best approach tends to be the
prevention of some line breaks (using HTML, CSS, or character-level tools
for that; actually white-space: nowrap isn't honored as widely as the
nonstandard but effective <nobr>...</nobr>).

If you have "foo bar" in a cell, it normally won't get split to two lines.
But if it will, you can e.g. write it as "foo&nbsp;bar" (= "foo bar" with no
line break allowed) and let browsers allocate widths with this in their
minds.

>> It certainly isn't
>> necessary to set width on both columns of a two-column table! If your
>> aim is to keep the first column the same width in multiple instances
>> of the table,
>
> With multiple instances of the table, you got to set both to make it
> look the same.

You are babbling about multiple instances while others discussed a single
table.

> Have you read how the width of the cells is calculated?

It seems that _you_ haven't.

> The browser will adapt the width to the content of the cells,

Yes.

> making to little room for the first column.

Usually not.

> The first column will only get as
> much room as the longest word in that column.

Nonsense. Did you actually test _anything_ before making such foolish
universal claims.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

From: GTalbot on
On 28 jan, 11:11, Poster Matt <postermatt(a)no_spam_for_me.org> wrote:

> http://gencon.pyrus.feralhosting.com/ftm/ftm.html

1- Do not set a fixed font-size: use relative unit or best do not
define a font-size and let the browser use the default values or the
user set values.
Please read

"
Use scalable rather than absolute units.
* Use em, percent(%), or keywords.
Try not to use pixels (px) or points (pt) for font and block sizes
because the user cannot resize them.
"
coming from Accessible CSS
http://cookiecrook.com/AIR/2003/train/accessiblecss.php

"
The font size of display characters is expressed in relative size and
not
absolute size.
"
coming from Optquast Best Practice N°4 - Level 2- Section
accessibility
http://en.opquast.com/bonnes-pratiques/fiche/4

Accessible Web design and consultancy, Syntactic Home page
Setting up your browser; 1. Text font and size
"
(...) Web pages often try to override this size for their body text.
The
better-designed sites won't do this (...)
"
http://www.syntacticweb.co.uk/calib.htm

Let Users Control Font Size
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20020819.html

The 100% Easy-2-Read Standard
http://informationarchitects.jp/100e2r/

The Wrong Size Fonts Or why not to over-ride the reader’s font size
http://www.xs4all.nl/~sbpoley/webmatters/fontsize.html

"
If you do not specify any font size at all (as on the pages you are
reading), text will appear in the default size that was selected by
the
user.
"
Truth & Consequences of web site design: Font size
http://pages.prodigy.net/chris_beall/TC/Font size.html

2-
All of your webpages should always start with a doctype declaration. I
recommend HTML 4.01 strict as the best, the forward-compatible choice,
the best cross-browser one:

Recommended Doctype Declarations to use in your Web document.
http://www.w3.org/QA/2002/04/valid-dtd-list.html

3-
You definitely over-use the class attribute when you often could avoid
resorting to it. You over-code, you over-declare and you over-
define.

E.g.:

could be better replaced with

(...)

hr
{
margin: 25px 300px 25px 0px;
border-bottom: 2px solid #003B62;
}

(...)

<hr>

Do a search on "classitis" and how to avoid it.

4- Understand inheritance. There are properties which inherit by
default. So, do not redeclare unneedlessly those when you declare it
in a container. CSS when well used reduces the amount of code
necessary; it does not and should not increase the amount of code for
formatting purposes.

regards, Gérard