From: Mojo on
Hi All

I've used the shockwave flash component to good effect in my vb6 app, but
when I tried to add this ocx (flash10e.ocx by the way) as part of my
installler InnoSetup can't register the component. Keeps giving a 0x5
error.

Some have said don't worry about it as flash is installed by default in
windows these days, but looking at my ticked reference/component in the
Project's usual window it specifically relates to flash10e.ocx.

Now my past experience on these references is that if you do this with say
Word then if the target machine has anything, but Word10 then it won't work.
This process seems to suggest that if the target machine doesn't
specifically have flash10e.ocx installed then it won't work!!! Am I right?

I've tried to untick it like I have with the Word reference and use generic
objects, but it won't do it. I think it's because I've selected a component
rather than a reference, but I might be wrong.

Has anybody had this problem as well?

Any way round it?

Thanks

From: GS on
Mojo presented the following explanation :
> Now my past experience on these references is that if you do this with say
> Word then if the target machine has anything, but Word10 then it won't work.
> This process seems to suggest that if the target machine doesn't
> specifically have flash10e.ocx installed then it won't work!!! Am I right?

No, this is not how it works with Office components. VB will only allow
you to set a reference to the version of Word that you have installed
on your dev machine. It updates the ref to whatever version is
installed on the target machine. So.., if you ref Word10 during
development and one user has Word12 installed then it will become the
ref on that machine and your app should work properly. Conversely, if
another user has Word9 installed it will become the ref on that machine
and your app should work properly (**as long as it doesn't try to run
code that requires Word features that were not added until v10**). In
this case you should make such code run version-conditional. This is
probably the biggest pain when automating MSO apps, and is why people
who do a lot of it always try to adhere to the rule of always compiling
your app for the earliest version you expect to encounter, then make
everything else version-conditional.

There might be a glich in what I'm telling you since I read recently in
this ng about problems with VB apps using later refs run with MSO8
(Office97) apps. I've experienced this as a beginner developer and so
discovered the need for version-conditional coding early on. For
example, I have VB6 COMAddins that are using refs to Office12 and
Excel12 libs (so I can config the Ribbon how I want it) that work
flawlessly in any earlier versions of Excel.

I can't speak to the Flash component so hopefully someone else can help
you there. My thoughts are that if it's installed with Windows then
maybe the ref behavior works similar to MSO apps.

HTH
--
Garry

From: Jim Mack on
Mojo wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I've used the shockwave flash component to good effect in my vb6
> app, but when I tried to add this ocx (flash10e.ocx by the way) as
> part of my installler InnoSetup can't register the component.
> Keeps giving a 0x5 error.
>
> Some have said don't worry about it as flash is installed by
> default in windows these days, but looking at my ticked
> reference/component in the Project's usual window it specifically
> relates to flash10e.ocx.
>
> Now my past experience on these references is that if you do this
> with say Word then if the target machine has anything, but Word10
> then it won't work. This process seems to suggest that if the
> target machine doesn't specifically have flash10e.ocx installed
> then it won't work!!! Am I right?
>
> I've tried to untick it like I have with the Word reference and use
> generic objects, but it won't do it. I think it's because I've
> selected a component rather than a reference, but I might be wrong.

Unless you need the specific features of Flash 10, you'll probably
have better luck addressing the 9b version of the OCX, which is more
common.

--
Jim Mack
Twisted tees at http://www.cafepress.com/2050inc