From: French Quarter on
Registry Startup Program

If this the best group for Windows XP Malware or Spybot questions?

Is there a Registry Startup Program that will list the RUN or Startup things
in the XP Home Registry? Something that will help you locate if there is
Malware or Spybot trying to reinstall ? Or trying to Startup?

What are your recommendations?

Thanks from the New Orleans French Quarter

From: Tim Meddick on
Registry scanning applications like HijackThis or SpyBotSD are good - they will
report if there is a new or unexpected entry to the auto "Run" list.

Another utility called AutoRuns (Sysinternals, a division of Microsoft) can tell you
all the process and services that begin automatically at system start - broken into
sub-groups under different "tabs".

HijackThis :
http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html

SpyBotSD :
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

AutoRuns :
http://download.sysinternals.com/Files/Autoruns.zip

==

Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

From: French Quarter on
Hi,
Thank you for the quick response. The Sys Auto Runs was perfect.

"Imagination...is the irrepressible revolutionist."

From: David B. on
Spybot is an anti malware application, not something that would try to
install without your knowledge, spyware is the term your looking for.

From: Tim Meddick on
David,
although SpyBotSD *is* commonly described as anti - malware / spyware,
this, and HijackThis do also scan the registry for unusual and unauthorised entries,
and both include the "auto-run" part of the registry.

It is for this reason that I described both programs as "Registry-scanning"
applications, as that is the function that they also perform, that I was interested
in.

Both HijackThis and SpyBotSD make an excellent job of scanning the registry for
unwanted start-up applications, as well as performing the rest of their respective
functions for which they are more commonly known.

==