From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Dr J R Stockton wrote:

> stevewy(a)hotmail.com posted:
>> I'm just trying to work out (if what I want is at all possible), a
>> regular expression that will search for and select (in a text editor
>> that supports regexps, like Notepad++) the word "onclick", then any
>> text at all, up to and including ">".
>
> How "like" must it be?
>
> MiniTrue will do it, at least at the XP 32-bit command line (CMD.EXE) :
>
> PROMPT>mtr $1.htm "onclick[^^]*>"
>
> The character ^ is a command-line escape, so only the second one counts;
> [^] thus means to search for not nothing, which, at least in MiniTrue,
> is a more potent "anything" than a mere dot is.

BTW, my tests¹ have showed that this negated empty character range is not
supported by JScript up to including version 5.7.5730 (in IE 7.0; tests with
IE 8 pending).

But it is supported since JavaScript 1.5 (Mozilla/5.0), Google V8 2.1 (maybe
earlier), Apple JavaScriptCore 530.17 (Safari 4), Opera 5.02, and KJS 4.4.3
(maybe earlier).

As an alternative, /[\x00-\xFF\u0100-\uFFFD]/ can be used, whereas
`\u0100-\uFFFD' should only be used if Unicode support had been detected.
A way to do this is

var allChars = "[\x00-\xFF[UNICODE]]"
.replace("[UNICODE]", "\uFFFD".length == 1 ? "\u0100-\uFFFD" : "");
var rx = new RegExp(allChars);

PointedEars
¹ <http://PointedEars.de/es-matrix#features>
will want to steal it.)