From: Martijn de Munnik on
Hi,

Our smtp server has some issues when talking to some remote mx's. This
results in a timeout and the message not being delivered (this was
discussed on this mailinglist but there doesn't seem to be a real
solution available now). When we relay the message through another
server the remote mx happily accepts the message. I only want to relay
messages through the other server when a timeout occurs. I was thinking
of using fail2ban for this. I want to watch the maillog with fail2ban
and when timeouts appear I want fail2ban to write a line to the
transport??? map. How do I redirect messages with a certain destination
mx to another mail server (one of our relays)?

Example:

mail to info(a)goofyandtheregulars.com will be delivered to
mx-cluster-b1.one.com or mx-cluster-b2.one.com. But will give a timeout
when talking to that machine. So I want to redirect message to
mx-cluster-b1.one.com and mx-cluster-b2.one.com to mx2.youngguns.nl.

thanks,
Martijn

From: Wietse Venema on
Martijn de Munnik:
> Hi,
>
> Our smtp server has some issues when talking to some remote mx's. This
> results in a timeout and the message not being delivered (this was
> discussed on this mailinglist but there doesn't seem to be a real
> solution available now). When we relay the message through another
> server the remote mx happily accepts the message. I only want to relay
> messages through the other server when a timeout occurs. I was thinking
> of using fail2ban for this. I want to watch the maillog with fail2ban
> and when timeouts appear I want fail2ban to write a line to the
> transport??? map. How do I redirect messages with a certain destination
> mx to another mail server (one of our relays)?

See: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtp_fallback_relay

Wietse

From: Martijn de Munnik - Postfix List on
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:45:55 -0400 (EDT), Wietse Venema
<wietse(a)porcupine.org> wrote:
> Martijn de Munnik:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Our smtp server has some issues when talking to some remote mx's. This
>> results in a timeout and the message not being delivered (this was
>> discussed on this mailinglist but there doesn't seem to be a real
>> solution available now). When we relay the message through another
>> server the remote mx happily accepts the message. I only want to relay
>> messages through the other server when a timeout occurs. I was thinking
>> of using fail2ban for this. I want to watch the maillog with fail2ban
>> and when timeouts appear I want fail2ban to write a line to the
>> transport??? map. How do I redirect messages with a certain destination
>> mx to another mail server (one of our relays)?
>
> See: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtp_fallback_relay

Dankjewel ;)

That was so much easier then my idea with fail2ban!

Martijn

From: Robert Schetterer on
Am 24.03.2010 14:31, schrieb Martijn de Munnik:
> Hi,
>
> Our smtp server has some issues when talking to some remote mx's. This
> results in a timeout and the message not being delivered (this was
> discussed on this mailinglist but there doesn't seem to be a real
> solution available now). When we relay the message through another
> server the remote mx happily accepts the message.

i am not sure if iam right here
but try something like this

master cf

baddomainfallback unix - - n - - smtp
-o fallback_relay= fallballbackserver

transport

buggydomain.com baddomainfallback:buggydomain.com

optional

main.cf

baddomainfallback_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
baddomainfallback_destination_recipient_limit = 5

--
Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria