From: Anton Pirogovski on
Is there a way to remotely complete Rake tasks/execute Rake files
without SSH access?
I'm using a hosting company that provides Ruby-on-Rails, but does not
allows SSH access.I just want to install the Radiant CMS, but it needs
to db:bootstrap a database, which must be done via Rake.
Any help appreciated.

From: Brian Candler on
Anton Pirogovski wrote:
> Is there a way to remotely complete Rake tasks/execute Rake files
> without SSH access?
> I'm using a hosting company that provides Ruby-on-Rails, but does not
> allows SSH access.I just want to install the Radiant CMS, but it needs
> to db:bootstrap a database, which must be done via Rake.
> Any help appreciated.

Perhaps you could run the db:bootstrap locally, but pointing to the
target database (e.g. a mysql server)

Otherwise: if you can run a Rails app then you can run Ruby scripts, and
Ruby has system(...), so you should be able to run whatever you like.
Just be very careful not to leave your system wide open to attack (e.g.
by installing a Rails app which lets you enter shell commands via a HTTP
FORM without any authentication)

From: Anton Pirogovski on
Brian Candler wrote:
> Perhaps you could run the db:bootstrap locally, but pointing to the
> target database (e.g. a mysql server)
Haven't thought of this, I'll try it.
> Otherwise: if you can run a Rails app then you can run Ruby scripts, and
> Ruby has system(...), so you should be able to run whatever you like.
Ruby of course has system(), but it's not allowed by the admin of
server.
> Just be very careful not to leave your system wide open to attack (e.g.
> by installing a Rails app which lets you enter shell commands via a HTTP
> FORM without any authentication)
Okay, I already always look for those insecure scripts.

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser on
Anton Pirogovski wrote:
> Is there a way to remotely complete Rake tasks/execute Rake files
> without SSH access?
> I'm using a hosting company that provides Ruby-on-Rails, but does not
> allows SSH access.I just want to install the Radiant CMS, but it needs
> to db:bootstrap a database, which must be done via Rake.
> Any help appreciated.

Find another hosting company. Seriously. Rails really needs shell
access, or at least some way to run Rake.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org

From: Anton Pirogovski on
Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
> Find another hosting company. Seriously. Rails really needs shell
> access, or at least some way to run Rake.
I know... -_-
It's a free hosting company, so ssh is disabled.I hoped there is some
other way to manipulate Ruby remotely.
Indeed, I'm going to soon rent a VPS at prgmr, so this problem is not
very neccessary to solve.Anyway thanks for help everyone.