From: Greegor on
JT > Just got an Olympus SP-800UZ.
JT >
JT > Anyone know if there's any way to do a
JT > remote shutter control with this camera?
JT >
JT > (It's owl mating season up on the hillside
JT > and I'd like to get some photos without
JT > spooking the owls.)

G > Can you set a time lapse mode to begin
G > an hour after you put it in the tree hide?
G >
G > With a BIG memory If it shoots every 40 seconds
G > it could take a long time to use up the memory.

Archie > Try reading the whole thread next time, idiot.

Sometimes a long string of time lapse shots
can be a substitute for hand triggered shots.

A cheap off the shelf PIR motion detector
from a driveway light might help too.
The Zenith ones used to use 12VDC inside.
From: Jim on
In article <4c1c794b$0$22161$742ec2ed(a)news.sonic.net>, Kevin McMurtrie
<mcmurtrie(a)pixelmemory.us> wrote:

> In article <2efl16h7fb5egr57dippfbtg28u1uht312(a)4ax.com>,
> Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon(a)On-My-Web-Site.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Just got an Olympus SP-800UZ.
> >
> > Anyone know if there's any way to do a remote shutter control with
> > this camera?
> >

> Older Olys use a common 1/8 inch jack with three contacts (aka stereo
> headphone jack). One is common, one is half-press, and one is shutter.
> I don't remember which is which but it's pretty easy to figure it out.
> It isn't necessary to activate the half-press before the shutter but
> doing so can reduce vibration blur.
>
> Newer Olys have USB remote control. It might not mind a long cable if
> you force the lower USB speed.

Canons are similar. I've done well with tying an npn from common to the
shutter and ignoring the other (focus). Might have had to diode-tie the
focus to the collector on one of the cameras.

--
Jim
From: David Eather on
On 13/07/2010 11:09 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:42:18 +1000, David Eather<eather(a)tpg.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>> On 13/07/2010 8:56 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
>>> Olympus SP-800UZ
>>
>> I think you're out of luck.
>>
>> HDMI and USB won't do it and there is no remote cable, RF or IR remote
>> you can play with.
>
> Yep. Now entertaining electro-mechanical ;-)
>
> ...Jim Thompson

A solenoid driven with two distinct excitation levels?
From: Jim Thompson on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 06:56:58 +1000, David Eather <eather(a)tpg.com.au>
wrote:

>On 13/07/2010 11:09 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:42:18 +1000, David Eather<eather(a)tpg.com.au>
>> wrote:

>>> I think you're out of luck.
>>>
>>> HDMI and USB won't do it and there is no remote cable, RF or IR remote
>>> you can play with.
>>
>> Yep. Now entertaining electro-mechanical ;-)
>>
>> ...Jim Thompson
>

>A solenoid driven with two distinct excitation levels?

Sure. I think I could devise two distinct force levels ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama isn't going to raise your taxes...it's Bush' fault: Not re-
newing the Bush tax cuts will increase the bottom tier rate by 50%
From: Frnak McKenney on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:09:49 -0700, Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon(a)On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:42:18 +1000, David Eather <eather(a)tpg.com.au>
> wrote:
>
>>On 13/07/2010 8:56 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
>>> Olympus SP-800UZ
>>
>>I think you're out of luck.
>>
>>HDMI and USB won't do it and there is no remote cable, RF or IR remote
>>you can play with.
>
> Yep. Now entertaining electro-mechanical ;-)

Jim,

If you're taking that route, you might consider a "hobby" servo such
as these (or do a search on Hi-Tec):

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9065
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9064

You'd still need to build a frame to attach it to the camera (or the
tripod mount) and a linkage to translate the servo rotation to the
proper amount of pressure (several "cranks" are generally included).

Also, someone would have to design the electronics to take whatever
control signal you wanted to use into the "standard" pulse-position
signal. Know anyone who could help you here? <grin!>

Hope this helps...

Frank McKenney
--
Until the milennium comes and countries cease trying to enslave
others, it will be necessary to accept one's responsibilities