From: Christoph Hellwig on
On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 11:51:40PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> From: Matthew Wilcox <willy(a)linux.intel.com>
>
> I've taken a patch originally written by Matthew Wilcox and
> ported it to the current version. Unfortunately, the change
> conflicts with the use of lockd, which still heavily uses
> the big kernel lock.
>
> As a workaround, I've made the behaviour configurable,
> it either uses the BKL when it's enabled or a spinlock
> when the BKL (and consequently nfs and lockd) are
> disabled.

Defintively not something we want in mainline. But keep poking
the nfs guys to sort the lockd mess out for real.

From: Arnd Bergmann on
On Sunday 11 July 2010 00:01:10 Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 11:51:40PM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> > From: Matthew Wilcox <willy(a)linux.intel.com>
> >
> > I've taken a patch originally written by Matthew Wilcox and
> > ported it to the current version. Unfortunately, the change
> > conflicts with the use of lockd, which still heavily uses
> > the big kernel lock.
> >
> > As a workaround, I've made the behaviour configurable,
> > it either uses the BKL when it's enabled or a spinlock
> > when the BKL (and consequently nfs and lockd) are
> > disabled.
>
> Defintively not something we want in mainline. But keep poking
> the nfs guys to sort the lockd mess out for real.

Yes, that was the idea. This is the last patch I need to run
all of my machines without the BKL, so I spent a few hours
looking at how to fix lockd. When I couldn't figure it out,
I decided to do an evil hack that happens to work, in order
to build pressure.

Arnd