From: websissy on

Here's the answer to my questions AND to the original question posted in
this thread. I found this information (provided by a user named
TaurArian) at
http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/974313.htm
I then tried it on my system and it worked! This procedure should work
remove ANY downloaded Windows update and prevent it from installing.

I modified it slightly in my case by going to

start/control panel/performance & maintenance/system/[Automatic
Updates]

and disabling ALL automatic Windows updates before I started this
process.

HIDE WINDOWS UPDATE

To hide an update, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then click either Windows
Update
or Microsoft Update.
2. Click Custom.
3. Click to clear the check box that is next to the update that you
want to
hide.
4. Expand the update that you want to hide, and then click the "Don't
show
this update again" check box.
5. Click Review and install updates.

REMOVE WINDOWS UPDATE DOWNLOADS FROM THE TEMPORARY FOLDER (it's usually

named \windows\SoftwareDistribution):

STOP THE AUTOMATIC UPDATES SERVICE

1. Click Start, Choose Run.
2. In the Run box, type services.msc.
3. Click OK.
4. Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
5. Click Stop.

Stopping the service will take a moment.

DELETE THE CONTENTS OF THE DOWNLOAD FOLDER

1. Click Start. Choose Run.
2. In the Run box, type %windir%\SoftwareDistribution (usually %windir%
is
"\windows")
3. Click OK.
4. Open the Download folder.
5. Delete all contents of the Download folder.
6. Close the window.

RESTART THE AUTOMATIC UPDATES SERVICE

1. Click Start. Choose Run.
2. In the Run box, type services.msc.
3. Click OK.
4. Right-click the Automatic Updates service.
5. Click Start.

Starting the service will take a moment.

By deleting the contents of the Download folder - you have removed any

downloaded updates that were pending.

You can now confirm the downloaded updates have been disabled by going
the Start / Turn Off screen. You should find NO windows updates listed
as
waiting for installation there.

Congrats! You're done.

Thanks a bunch, TaurArian!