From: Gary on
I've seen mention of this, usually for cleaning purposes or adding a
different fan.

In my case though it's primarily to reduce the bulk of the card. Not only
does the dual size cover a PCIe slot, it also gets uncomfortably close to
one of the few PCI slots, which I need to use.

With the PCI card in place, the fan doesn't get a very good airflow, so not
only does the fan speed increase, but idling temperatures are about 10c
higher (around 70c) than without the PCI card in position.
To increase the gap, I'm thinking of removing the shroud, but I'm guessing
that it's also the housing for the fan, along with directing the airflow out
the back. Anyone removed the shrouding on this card? Any thoughts?

The card version is this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-RADEON-HD-4870-Interface/dp/B002GNMRU0/

TIA,
Gary

From: First of One on
This picture shows the typical locations of screw bosses in the fan shroud.
http://www.jayceooi.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/sapphire_hd4870_05.jpg

You will have the separate the entire heat sink / fan assembly from the PCB.
Then you'll be able to access the fan shroud screws from the bottom of the
aluminum plate. You will have to reapply thermal paste to the GPU die and
VRMs when you reinstall the heat sink / fan assembly.

What brand of case do you use? Is there an optional side panel available
with a mesh opening in the expansion card area? A vented side panel can
easily lower temperatures by 10C.

From: Gary on

"First of One" <root(a)127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> This picture shows the typical locations of screw bosses in the fan
> shroud.
> http://www.jayceooi.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/sapphire_hd4870_05.jpg
>
> You will have the separate the entire heat sink / fan assembly from the
> PCB. Then you'll be able to access the fan shroud screws from the bottom
> of the aluminum plate. You will have to reapply thermal paste to the GPU
> die and VRMs when you reinstall the heat sink / fan assembly.

Thanks.

> What brand of case do you use? Is there an optional side panel available
> with a mesh opening in the expansion card area? A vented side panel can
> easily lower temperatures by 10C.

I actually have the side panel removed. I tried long ago to keep things cool
without needing this, but it's always cooler with it removed. A tad noisier
of course, but bearable.

This image shows the proximity of the shrouding to the PCI slot:
http://img693.imageshack.us/i/sapphire4870videocard.jpg/

Obviously with a PCI card in place, the fan intake area is compromised. It's
a pity I didn't get a version with a rear fan :(

From: Gary on

"Steve" <ivalid(a)invalid.com> wrote in message

> What is the pci card?

I've opted for my smallest PCI card in that slot, it's a Skystar 2 satellite
receiver card. Although full height, it's not as long as the other two I
use, so not quite as 'suffocating'.

From: Steve on
In article <hdu1sh$t5a$2(a)news.eternal-
september.org>, usenetthrowaway(a)gmail.com says...

> "Steve" <ivalid(a)invalid.com> wrote in message
>
> > What is the pci card?
>
> I've opted for my smallest PCI card in that slot, it's a Skystar 2 satellite
> receiver card. Although full height, it's not as long as the other two I
> use, so not quite as 'suffocating'.

Well, I was going to suggest a half height card
if you could get it.

I would be cautious about removing the shroud. It
may be needed to route air to hot components.

Maybe something like this would help.

http://www.zerotherm.net/eng/product/CM2000.asp

ZEROtherm CoolMaxx 2000

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?