From: Ian P on
In the course of doing some modifications to a very expensive Sony 3 chip HD
camcorder I have accidentally cut through 3 tracks on the edge of a mylar?
flexible cable. On the good side the damage is very accessible but the bad
bit is the tracks are only 0.1mm wide on a 0.2mm pitch! Ideally one would
just replace the flex pcb but in practice that would involve dismantling the
camera and lens to get to all the places the pcb branches out to, and in
some places it actually goes into the lens mechanism itself.

I am considering abrading off the top mylar coating to expose the copper
then bridging the breaks with some very narrow pitch zebra strip. My other
idea is to make my own miniature insulation displacement/piercing connector
using a stack of razor blade bits sandwiched with insulation layers.

The last option would be to use wire links and solder but I think this could
only be done with some sort of mechanical micropositioning rig in view of
the small sizes involved.

I would be interested to hear any thoughts or experiences if anyone has any.

Cheers

Ian

From: William Sommerwerck on
This is "not unlike" fixing a PCB trace. How would you do that?

What about globbing some eutectic solder over the traces (even though it
shorts them), then using "something" to break the solder into individual
"strands" while it's still liquid?

I'm wondering whether zebra strip would be conductive enough? It might not
matter over such a short (ar, ar) distance.

I wish you success. And if this happened this morning, please put it aside
and relax. Work on something else, something easy, and try to forget about
this problem for the time being.

From: Meat Plow on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 07:47:37 -0700, William Sommerwerck wrote:

> This is "not unlike" fixing a PCB trace. How would you do that?
>
> What about globbing some eutectic solder over the traces (even though it
> shorts them), then using "something" to break the solder into individual
> "strands" while it's still liquid?
>
> I'm wondering whether zebra strip would be conductive enough? It might
> not matter over such a short (ar, ar) distance.
>
> I wish you success. And if this happened this morning, please put it
> aside and relax. Work on something else, something easy, and try to
> forget about this problem for the time being.

Flexible pcb connector as in a ribbon connector? I've had some limited
success repairing these with conductive paint designed to repair
automotive window heaters.
From: N_Cook on
Ian P <elanman99(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In the course of doing some modifications to a very expensive Sony 3 chip
HD
> camcorder I have accidentally cut through 3 tracks on the edge of a mylar?
> flexible cable. On the good side the damage is very accessible but the bad
> bit is the tracks are only 0.1mm wide on a 0.2mm pitch! Ideally one would
> just replace the flex pcb but in practice that would involve dismantling
the
> camera and lens to get to all the places the pcb branches out to, and in
> some places it actually goes into the lens mechanism itself.
>
> I am considering abrading off the top mylar coating to expose the copper
> then bridging the breaks with some very narrow pitch zebra strip. My other
> idea is to make my own miniature insulation displacement/piercing
connector
> using a stack of razor blade bits sandwiched with insulation layers.
>
> The last option would be to use wire links and solder but I think this
could
> only be done with some sort of mechanical micropositioning rig in view of
> the small sizes involved.
>
> I would be interested to hear any thoughts or experiences if anyone has
any.

> Cheers
>

> Ian

Assuming you're not in a stripline-type situation with ground plane/rf
considerations, try plaiting some magnet wire and soldering to the 3 pcb
solder points at either end of the plaited section of "ribbon", you may
have to make a hole through the pcb though.

From: Ian P on

"William Sommerwerck" <grizzledgeezer(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> This is "not unlike" fixing a PCB trace. How would you do that?
>
> What about globbing some eutectic solder over the traces (even though it
> shorts them), then using "something" to break the solder into individual
> "strands" while it's still liquid?
>
> I'm wondering whether zebra strip would be conductive enough? It might not
> matter over such a short (ar, ar) distance.
>
> I wish you success. And if this happened this morning, please put it aside
> and relax. Work on something else, something easy, and try to forget about
> this problem for the time being.

William

I too wondered about how conductive zebra strip is but considered it for
this because the tracks are so narrow they are probably only carrying logic
level signals whereas some of the other tracks in this particular flex are
over 1.5mm wide.

It 'happened' several days ago so have got over the initial shock and
annoyance with myself. I am not rushing in until feel right.

Ian