From: Namachari on
On Jul 27, 5:08 pm, chitselb <chits...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got a pre-1980 PET 2001-16N which I upgraded to 32K and it
> doesn't come on.  Flip the power switch, nothing happens.  Any ideas
> how or where I might get it fixed?  My other notion is to reuse the
> case (and the original keyboard) for an x86 processor running Linux.
>
> Thanks,
> Charlie

well, I certainly wouldn't do that. You will be turning something with
historical value into a piece of junk. leave the x86 in it's crappy
plastic case, it's a good match.

Check that the power cables, video cables, and all other cables are
fitted correctly. Check the fuse. If it was a RAM issue I would expect
the machine to power on but have garbage on the screen.
From: Namachari on
On Jul 30, 7:58 am, Namachari <forums6...(a)mac.com> wrote:
> On Jul 27, 5:08 pm, chitselb <chits...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I've got a pre-1980 PET 2001-16N which I upgraded to 32K and it
> > doesn't come on.  Flip the power switch, nothing happens.  Any ideas
> > how or where I might get it fixed?  My other notion is to reuse the
> > case (and the original keyboard) for an x86 processor running Linux.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Charlie
>
> well, I certainly wouldn't do that. You will be turning something with
> historical value into a piece of junk. leave the x86 in it's crappy
> plastic case, it's a good match.
>
> Check that the power cables, video cables, and all other cables are
> fitted correctly. Check the fuse. If it was a RAM issue I would expect
> the machine to power on but have garbage on the screen.

Oh, are you sure you put the correct RAM in? Are you sure you put the
RAM in facing the correct way?
From: chitselb on
On Jul 27, 4:08 am, chitselb <chits...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got a pre-1980 PET 2001-16N which I upgraded to 32K and it
> doesn't come on.  Flip the power switch, nothing happens.  Any ideas
> how or where I might get it fixed?  My other notion is to reuse the
> case (and the original keyboard) for an x86 processor running Linux.
>
> Thanks,
> Charlie

On Jul 27, 4:08 am, chitselb <chits...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I've got a pre-1980 PET 2001-16N which I upgraded to 32K and it
> doesn't come on. Flip the power switch, nothing happens. Any ideas
> how or where I might get it fixed? My other notion is to reuse the
> case (and the original keyboard) for an x86 processor running Linux.
>
> Thanks,
> Charlie

Update: I got it working! Woot! I wound up disassembling the
keyboard completely so I could wash all the keycaps and keystems.
Then I used some powdered graphite on the part of the key that touches
the printed circuit board, and a pencil eraser on each of the board
contacts. I took a few pics which I'll upload to my flickr page
sometime later this weekend.

I was a little disappointed to be reminded that I upgraded the ROMs to
BASIC 4.0, thereby eternally depriving myself of the WAIT 6502,100
easter egg in the BASIC 2.0 ROMs. I still do not regret leaving the
12 hour garbage collection routines behind.

To the poster who suggested that my RAM upgrade could have been the
culprit, no. The RAM upgrade was performed at the shop (16K -> 32K)
about 30 years ago for somewhere around $400.00.

As for the "antique" value of the machine, back in the day I put two
small holes in the case to install a reset/nmi switch and a normal/
diag switch. I upgraded the ROM from factory (and have no idea what
happened to the original 2.0 BASIC chip). There's an internal (I
built it) CB2 sound board but that could be removed without a trace.

I have always loved the shape of the PET machines. They remind me of
the Sphynx.

Charlie
http://chitselb.com
From: James Harris on
On 7 Aug, 19:55, chitselb <chits...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I was a little disappointed to be reminded that I upgraded the ROMs to
> BASIC 4.0, thereby eternally depriving myself of the WAIT 6502,100

Wow, that takes me back! Does it print something on the screen, maybe
COMMODORE with some exclamation marks 100 times? Is that it or
anywhere close?

James
From: chitselb on
On Aug 7, 9:24 pm, James Harris <james.harri...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 7 Aug, 19:55, chitselb <chits...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > I was a little disappointed to be reminded that I upgraded the ROMs to
> > BASIC 4.0, thereby eternally depriving myself of the WAIT 6502,100
>
> Wow, that takes me back! Does it print something on the screen, maybe
> COMMODORE with some exclamation marks 100 times? Is that it or
> anywhere close?
>
> James

MICROSOFT! gets displayed [second_parameter] times. There's an
interesting article about this "feature" at http://www.pagetable.com/?p=43
in which Bill Gates himself (or someone doing a pretty convincing job
of being Bill on the internet) chimes in among the commenters.