From: andreashermle on
Dear Experts:

For selected cells in a column, I would like to replace any line
breaks (Alt + Enter) with two spaces using a macro solution. There are
cells that have multiple line breaks!

By the way: can this be achieved using the bulit-in search and
replace functionality as well?

Help is much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Regards, Andreas
From: Dave Peterson on
Try recording a macro when:

You select the range
Edit|replace
Find what: ctrl-j
replace with: (spacebar)(spacebar)

Replace all

ctrl-j is the same as alt-0010 or alt-enter or =char(10).

It may not look like that inputbox on the replace dialog didn't change, but try
it anyway.

--

Dave Peterson
From: andreashermle on
On Mar 21, 1:43 pm, Dave Peterson <peter...(a)verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> Try recording a macro when:
>
> You select the range
> Edit|replace
> Find what:     ctrl-j
> replace with:  (spacebar)(spacebar)
>
> Replace all
>
> ctrl-j is the same as alt-0010 or alt-enter or =char(10).
>
> It may not look like that inputbox on the replace dialog didn't change, but try
> it anyway.
>
> andreashermle wrote:
>
> > Dear Experts:
>
> > For selected cells in a column, I would like to replace any line
> > breaks (Alt + Enter) with two spaces using a macro solution. There are
> > cells that have multiple line breaks!
>
> >  By the way: can this be achieved using the bulit-in search and
> > replace functionality as well?
>
> > Help is much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.
>
> > Regards, Andreas
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

Hi Dave,

thank you very much for your swift response. Your solution is the
first one I am trying out.
Great help. It works as desired.

Thank you very much for your professional help. Regards, Andreas
From: andreashermle on
On Mar 21, 1:10 pm, Chip Pearson <c...(a)cpearson.com> wrote:
> You can do it with code:
>
> Sub AAA()
> Dim R As Range
> For Each R In Range("A1:A10")
>     If R.HasFormula = False Then
>         If R.HasArray = False Then
>             R.Value = Replace(R.Value, Chr(10), Space(2))
>         End If
>     End If
> Next R
> End Sub
>
> Or you can do it manually. Select the cells to change, open the
> Replace dialog (CTRL H), and with the cursor in the "Find What" box,
> hold down the left ALT key and enter 0010 on the numeric keypad (to
> the right of the main part of the keyboard, not the number keys above
> the letters). You will not see anything in Find What text box, but the
> character is there.  Then, in the Replace With text box, enter two
> spaces. Click Replace All.
>
> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional,
>         Excel, 1998 - 2010
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLCwww.cpearson.com
>
> On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 04:04:44 -0700 (PDT), andreashermle
>

> <andreas.her...(a)gmx.de> wrote:
> >Dear Experts:
>
> >For selected cells in a column, I would like to replace any line
> >breaks (Alt + Enter) with two spaces using a macro solution. There are
> >cells that have multiple line breaks!
>
> > By the way: can this be achieved using the bulit-in search and
> >replace functionality as well?
>
> >Help is much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.
>
> >Regards, Andreas- Hide quoted text -

Hi Chip,

thank you very much for your great help. It works as desired.

I really do appreciate the time you experts take in answering these
questions.

Again, thank you very much. Regards, Andreas