From: Shiju Samuel on
Hi All,

I want to setup a replication of a table from SQL2008 to SQL2005. The
table in the SQL2008 is having a date data type which is not valid in
SQL 2005.
I thought I can create a UDT in subscriber - but the snapshot itself
error out even before touching subscriber

The snapshot agent fails
Target Site: Void
CheckSupportedType(Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ScriptingOptions)
Message: Column MDate in object Asset_old contains type Date, which is
not supported in the target server version, SQL Server 2005.
Stack: at
Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Column.CheckSupportedType(ScriptingOp
tions options)
at
Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Column.VersionValidate(ScriptingOptio
ns so)
at
Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Column.ScriptDdlCreateImpl(StringBuil
der sb, ScriptingOptions so)
at
Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Column.ScriptDdl(StringCollection
queries, ScriptingOptions so)
at
Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Table.ScriptTableInternal(ScriptingOp
tions so, StringBuilder sb, ColumnCollection columns, IndexCollection

-- Thanks Shiju

From: John Bell on
On Fri, 21 May 2010 06:45:28 -0700, "Shiju Samuel"
<Shiju.Samuel(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I want to setup a replication of a table from SQL2008 to SQL2005. The
>table in the SQL2008 is having a date data type which is not valid in
>SQL 2005.
>I thought I can create a UDT in subscriber - but the snapshot itself
>error out even before touching subscriber
>
>The snapshot agent fails
>Target Site: Void
>CheckSupportedType(Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.ScriptingOptions)
>Message: Column MDate in object Asset_old contains type Date, which is
>not supported in the target server version, SQL Server 2005.
>Stack: at
>Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Column.CheckSupportedType(ScriptingOp
>tions options)
> at
>Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Column.VersionValidate(ScriptingOptio
>ns so)
> at
>Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Column.ScriptDdlCreateImpl(StringBuil
>der sb, ScriptingOptions so)
> at
>Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Column.ScriptDdl(StringCollection
>queries, ScriptingOptions so)
> at
>Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Table.ScriptTableInternal(ScriptingOp
>tions so, StringBuilder sb, ColumnCollection columns, IndexCollection
>

>-- Thanks Shiju

See
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sqlreplication/thread/f1e92eef-534e-4f8b-bc04-211e479ff40b

You are limited to the functionality availble in SQL 2005.

John