From: xytsrm on
I'm using SendMessage and ReplyMessage in communicating between two apps.
Due to an oversight on my part, I was sending a ReplyMessage that wasn't
preceeded by a SendMessage, although nothing appeared to cause any errors, I
was just wondering what happens if a ReplyMessage is executed essentially
without reason - is it simply ignored, or will it affect subsequent
SendMessage calls?

X.

From: ralph on
On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 12:27:03 -0700, xytsrm
<xytsrm(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm using SendMessage and ReplyMessage in communicating between two apps.
>Due to an oversight on my part, I was sending a ReplyMessage that wasn't
>preceeded by a SendMessage, although nothing appeared to cause any errors, I
>was just wondering what happens if a ReplyMessage is executed essentially
>without reason - is it simply ignored, or will it affect subsequent
>SendMessage calls?

The documentation basically says for that condition "ReplyMessage has
no effect".

Which makes sense if you think about it. ReplyMessage essentially,
from the viewpoint of the sender, provides a flag letting him know a
SendMessage was received and he can go about his business. Without a
matching message - nothing CAN happen.

-ralph
From: xytsrm on
Thanks Ralph,

I suspected as much, as my software hasn't experienced any anomalous
behavior that I could trace to spurious "ReplyMessage" calls. What brought
my attention to it was a possible timing issue in a group of instructions
that included the "ReplyMessage".

X.

"ralph" wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 12:27:03 -0700, xytsrm
> <xytsrm(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I'm using SendMessage and ReplyMessage in communicating between two apps.
> >Due to an oversight on my part, I was sending a ReplyMessage that wasn't
> >preceeded by a SendMessage, although nothing appeared to cause any errors, I
> >was just wondering what happens if a ReplyMessage is executed essentially
> >without reason - is it simply ignored, or will it affect subsequent
> >SendMessage calls?
> >

> The documentation basically says for that condition "ReplyMessage has
> no effect".
>
> Which makes sense if you think about it. ReplyMessage essentially,
> from the viewpoint of the sender, provides a flag letting him know a
> SendMessage was received and he can go about his business. Without a
> matching message - nothing CAN happen.
>
> -ralph
> .

Pages: 1