From: karthikbalaguru on
Hi,
In Class B Subnetting,
1. Consider that the subnet mask is 255.255.192.0
then, the number of hosts is 16382. The number of
subnets is 2.
2. Similarly for the subnet mask of 255.255.224.0,
the number of hosts is 8190. The number of
subnets is 6.

I understand that the reasons for 16382 and
8190 is that the first(all zeros) and the last
addresses(all ones) have been reserved in
every subnet due to historical reasons.
Can you lemme know the historical reason ?
I searched the internet, but did not find info
except for some links mentioning the term
'historical reasons'.

Further, shouldn't the number of subnets be
4 for the first scenario and 8 for the second
scenario ? Any specific reasons for not using
subnet-zero(all-zeros subnet) and
all-ones-subnet ?

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru
From: karthikbalaguru on
On Jan 11, 7:17 am, karthikbalaguru <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
> In Class B Subnetting,
> 1. Consider that the subnet mask is 255.255.192.0
> then, the number of hosts is 16382. The number of
> subnets is 2.
> 2. Similarly for the subnet mask of 255.255.224.0,
> the number of hosts is 8190. The number of
> subnets is 6.
>
> I understand that the reasons for 16382 and
> 8190 is that the first(all zeros) and the last
> addresses(all ones) have been reserved in
> every subnet due to historical reasons.
> Can you lemme know the historical reason ?
> I searched the internet, but did not find info
> except for some links mentioning the term
> 'historical reasons'.
>
> Further, shouldn't the number of subnets be
> 4 for the first scenario and 8 for the second
> scenario ? Any specific reasons for not using
> subnet-zero(all-zeros subnet) and
> all-ones-subnet ?

On further seraching in internet, i got
the below link throws some light on it, but
not very explicitly -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnetwork#Subnet_zero_and_the_all-ones_subnet
It seems to convey that RFC 950 prohibits
the usage while RFC 1878 allows the usage.
I do find the below statement in RFC 1878,
" This practice is obsolete! Modern
software will be able to utilize all
definable networks. "

Eager to know the method followed by
modern softwares to utilize all the
definable networks. Why was it a problem
earlier ?
Any ideas ?

Thx in advans,
Karthik Balaguru
From: unruh on
["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.networking.]
On 2010-01-11, karthikbalaguru <karthikbalaguru79(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> In Class B Subnetting,
> 1. Consider that the subnet mask is 255.255.192.0
> then, the number of hosts is 16382. The number of
> subnets is 2.

??? There can be almost any number of subnets, as I understand it.
Subnets are not limited to groups of 256 addresses.

> 2. Similarly for the subnet mask of 255.255.224.0,
> the number of hosts is 8190. The number of
> subnets is 6.
>
> I understand that the reasons for 16382 and
> 8190 is that the first(all zeros) and the last
> addresses(all ones) have been reserved in
> every subnet due to historical reasons.
> Can you lemme know the historical reason ?
> I searched the internet, but did not find info
> except for some links mentioning the term
> 'historical reasons'.

broadcast

From: samhas on

> Eager to know the method followed by
> modern softwares to utilize all the
> definable networks. Why was it a problem
> earlier ?

I think you are confusing two things: classless vs. classful
interdomain routing and subnets. In the beginning of the global
internet the ip address space was separated in several address classes
e.g. class A (having 3 bytes for host addressing), class B (2 bytes),
class C (1 byte), etc.. The problem with that: you only have a very
limited number of class A networks with too many host addresses (2^24
- 2). So the internet community switched to classless interdomain
routing, that means you can cut the ip address at any position to
seperated net- and host-part. This is now applicable for global
routing, too. But for you as an organisation it was always possible to
build some subnets within your address space.

hth samhas
From: karthikbalaguru on
On Jan 11, 9:56 am, unruh <un...(a)wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
> ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.networking.]
> On 2010-01-11, karthikbalaguru <karthikbalagur...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > In Class B Subnetting,
> > 1. Consider that the subnet mask is 255.255.192.0
> > then, the number of hosts is 16382. The number of
> > subnets is 2.
>
> ??? There can be almost any number of subnets, as I understand it.
> Subnets are not limited to groups of 256 addresses.

I think, the below link also seems to convey
2 subnets if subnet mask is 255.255.192.0 -
http://www.networkcomputing.com/unixworld/tutorial/001.html

> > 2. Similarly for the subnet mask of 255.255.224.0,
> > the number of hosts is 8190. The number of
> > subnets is 6.
>
> > I understand that the reasons for 16382 and
> > 8190 is that the first(all zeros) and the last
> > addresses(all ones) have been reserved in
> > every subnet due to historical reasons.
> > Can you lemme know the historical reason ?
> > I searched the internet, but did not find info
> > except for some links mentioning the term
> > 'historical reasons'.
>
> broadcast

Thx for your inputs !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnetwork#Subnet_zero_and_the_all-ones_subnet
The above link conveys some clear info.

The remaining bits after the subnet are used for
addressing hosts within the subnet.In the various
configurations for the host identifier, the all zeros
value and all ones value are reserved for the
network ID and broadcast address respectively.

So,the number of available hosts on a subnet is
(2 to the powerof n) - 2, where n is the number
of bits used for the host portion of the address
except while dealing with 31-bit subnet masks
where network and broadcast addresses is
not necessary (RFC 3021).

> > Further, shouldn't the number of subnets be
> > 4 for the first scenario and 8 for the second
> > scenario ? Any specific reasons for not using
> > subnet-zero(all-zeros subnet) and
> > all-ones-subnet ?

The same link also conveys the below -
- Problem in using subnet zero - confusion
created by having a network and subnet
with the same address.

- Problem if subnetting has all bits in the
subnet bit group set to one - Possible
confusion with the broadcast address.

Thx,
Karthik Balaguru