From: Larry Martell on
Hello all-

I have a php script that generates a web page with a bunch of
scrollable frames, and then asynchronously refreshes the page. If the
user has scrolled down in any of the frames, when the refresh occurs
it has scrolled back to the top of all the frames. Is there a way I
can retain the scroll position so after the refresh the frames are
shown at the same location as before the refresh? I have googled and
googled for this, but everything I find is ASP or C# or Java. My stuff
is straight php/html. How can I do this with that?

TIA!
-larry
From: =?UTF-8?Q?Hans_=C3=85hlin?= on
I't was a long time ago when i programed in js but the first thin that pops
up in my mind is that there is a function where you can read and set the
values of the scrollbars.

I found this when I googled it:
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/community/aspnet/3/10002280/scroll-positions.aspx

<http://www.eggheadcafe.com/community/aspnet/3/10002280/scroll-positions.aspx>
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread60189.html

Hans Åhlin
Tel: +46761488019
icq: 275232967
http://www.kronan-net.com/
irc://irc.freenode.net:6667 - TheCoin

From: tedd on
At 6:31 AM -0600 7/23/10, Larry Martell wrote:
>Hello all-
>
>I have a php script that generates a web page with a bunch of
>scrollable frames, and then asynchronously refreshes the page. If the
>user has scrolled down in any of the frames, when the refresh occurs
>it has scrolled back to the top of all the frames. Is there a way I
>can retain the scroll position so after the refresh the frames are
>shown at the same location as before the refresh? I have googled and
>googled for this, but everything I find is ASP or C# or Java. My stuff
>is straight php/html. How can I do this with that?
>
>TIA!
>-larry

I forgot, this *is* Friday (as Daniel reminded me) -- so everyone
here's the code I provided to Larry.

-larry:

This is a problem that can be solved via javascript. The process is
that you create a cookie containing the scroll position value before
the operation (whatever that may be) and then you restore the page
back to where it was after the operation.

The following is the javascript code I wrote several years ago -- it
works for me.

Cheers,

tedd

--- javascript ---

addLoadListener(init);

function init()
{
window.onscroll = function()
{
var scrollpos = getScrollingPosition();
document.title = 'left=' + scrollpos[0] + ' top=' + scrollpos[1];

//-- create a cookie named scrollPosition and put the vertical
scroll amount in the value
var cookieName = "scrollPosition";
var cookieValue = scrollpos[1];
var theCookie = cookieName + "=" + cookieValue;
document.cookie = theCookie;

};

return true;
}

function getScrollingPosition()
{
var position = [0, 0];

if (typeof window.pageYOffset != 'undefined')
{
position = [
window.pageXOffset,
window.pageYOffset
];
}

else if (typeof document.documentElement.scrollTop != 'undefined'
&& (document.documentElement.scrollTop > 0 ||
document.documentElement.scrollLeft > 0))
{
position = [
document.documentElement.scrollLeft,
document.documentElement.scrollTop
];
}

else if (typeof document.body.scrollTop != 'undefined')
{
position = [
document.body.scrollLeft,
document.body.scrollTop
];
}

return position;
}

function addLoadListener(fn)
{
if (typeof window.addEventListener != 'undefined')
{
window.addEventListener('load', fn, false);
}
else if (typeof document.addEventListener != 'undefined')
{
document.addEventListener('load', fn, false);
}
else if (typeof window.attachEvent != 'undefined')
{
window.attachEvent('onload', fn);
}
else
{
var oldfn = window.onload;
if (typeof window.onload != 'function')
{
window.onload = fn;
}
else
{
window.onload = function()
{
oldfn();
fn();
};
}
}
}

function getCookie(searchName)
{
var cookies = document.cookie.split(";");

for (var i = 0; i < cookies.length; i++)
{
var cookieCrumbs = cookies[i].split("=");
var cookieName = cookieCrumbs[0];
var cookieValue = cookieCrumbs[1];

if (cookieName == searchName)
{
return cookieValue;
}
}
return false;
}

function myscroll()
{
// on load the cookie scrollPosition's value is read and scrolled to
var scrollValue = getCookie("scrollPosition");
window.scrollTo(0, scrollValue);
}

--
-------