From: David W. Fenton on
Banana <Banana(a)Republic> wrote in news:4B9EF51E.2080107(a)Republic:

> I'm
> not sure if you still can download Jet 4.0 as a part of MDAC but
> if you can, well, you can do that and thus get the most current
> functionality.

Why would you need to download something that is part of the
operating system?

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: David W. Fenton on
Banana <Banana(a)Republic> wrote in news:4B9F9D5C.8020004(a)Republic:

> Jet is considered to
> be 'deprecated' from the MDAC

No, Jet was omitted from the MDAC because it was redundant to
include something that was part of the OS.

Jet was deprecated for use in MS's .NET-based programming languages,
but was never deprecated elsewhere.

> and has been for long time.

Jet has been part of the OS since the introduction of Windows 2000
in 1999 (the same year Office 2000 was released, i.e., the first
software that was based on Jet 4).

> There's even
> more enhancements to the engine coming 2010. I'm not so sure
> whether it's still viable as a standalone engine for say, light
> use websites as was popularly done with classic ASP + Jet, though.

Jet/ACE is really not suitable for use with web sites.

> I say that mainly
> because I believe you now can't get ACE without Access as you
> could with Jet without Access, but I could be wrong on that point.

You are. You can download the ACE for use without Access.

> It's possible
> that either SQL Server Compact Edition or SQL Server Express
> Edition will be a better choice for ASP.NET, especially that they
> have native ADO.NET providers.

CE would not be, but Express would be.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
From: Banana on
David W. Fenton wrote:
> No, Jet was omitted from the MDAC because it was redundant to
> include something that was part of the OS.

> Jet has been part of the OS since the introduction of Windows 2000
> in 1999 (the same year Office 2000 was released, i.e., the first
> software that was based on Jet 4).

But same was true of MDAC itself - it was distributed with several
different Windows OS, starting with NT 4.0 as well in conjuncture with
other distribution methods. As far as I can tell, MDAC was a part of
Windows framework, so your claim seems to be a distinction without a
difference to me.

> Jet/ACE is really not suitable for use with web sites.

I'm not doubting this statement, and I'm in no position to take sides.
However, I have to confess my puzzlement because as I already mentioned
to Mark, the subject on using Jet as backend for websites is well
documented and broad, and indeed there are few KB articles discussing
about using Jet with IIS, giving the hint that even if the Jet isn't the
preferred method, it's OK for light use website (otherwise why didn't
MSFT go and say "Do not use Jet with IIS" in those KB articles). For
whatever reasons that still are unclear to me there was at least sizable
interest in using Jet as backend for websites. I'd really love to know
the rationale.

Nonetheless, even if I did end up in web development somehow, I wouldn't
really think to reach for Jet as a store for a website, even for a light
use website.

> You are. You can download the ACE for use without Access.

It does seem to be the case. I stand corrected. Thanks.
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Mark Rae [MVP]" <mark(a)markrae.net> wrote:

>IMO, Jet has *never* been a viable RDBMS for websites, no matter how small.
>It's simply not designed for that scenario...

Well, not quite. Former MVP and current MS employee Michael Kaplan runs
Trigeminal.com with all the pages served from an Access database. Now that's pretty
much read only as I doubt he has updated it much in five or eight years. And he's
the only one doing any updates.

He did this as much to anythnig to disprove blanket comments such as yours. However
I would agree that his website is a very special case and that storing website data
is Access is very much not a good idea.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Mark Rae [MVP] on
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote in message

> However I would agree that his website is a very special case and that
> storing
> website data is Access is very much not a good idea.

Well there you are, then...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP