From: Steve on
Hi,

I have installed Sendmail on Centos 5.3
Recently, I made a test with
http://mxtoolbox.com

Apparently that seems to be OK, except that I have :
Warning - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner

I tried to modify the sendmail file with :
dnl SmtpGreetingMessage=mail.xxxx.com

but apparently, nothing 's changed

- Should I modify something else ?

Thanks
From: MxToolBox Support on
Steve,

Thank you for using our SMTP Diagnostics tool (http://
www.mxtoolbox.com/diagnostic.aspx)! The short answer is that the
reverse IP address name is not contained in the server HELO or EHLO
banner. This is only a warning, and in some cases you may have no
control over this. However, if you have the ability to make these
match, you should. Some mail servers look for this and use it to mark
messages you send as questionable. Most mail systems will not reject
your messages outright, but this may effect your spam score increasing
the likelihood your messages will be marked as spam.

In other words, it is a best-practice you should endeavor to follow.
It doesn’t mean you are a bad person or won’t be able to send email.

Let us know if we can help with anything else.

Thank you,
MxToolBox

From: Steve on
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 08:10:12 -0800, MxToolBox Support wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Thank you for using our SMTP Diagnostics tool (http://
> www.mxtoolbox.com/diagnostic.aspx)! The short answer is that the reverse
> IP address name is not contained in the server HELO or EHLO banner. This
> is only a warning, and in some cases you may have no control over this.
> However, if you have the ability to make these match, you should. Some
> mail servers look for this and use it to mark messages you send as
> questionable. Most mail systems will not reject your messages outright,
> but this may effect your spam score increasing the likelihood your
> messages will be marked as spam.
>
> In other words, it is a best-practice you should endeavor to follow. It
> doesn't mean you are a bad person or won't be able to send email.
>
> Let us know if we can help with anything else.
>
> Thank you,
> MxToolBox
>

> On Nov 13, 1:56 am, Steve <St...(a)noreply.fr> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have installed Sendmail on Centos 5.3 Recently, I made a test
>> withhttp://mxtoolbox.com
>>
>> Apparently that seems to be OK, except that I have :
>>  Warning - Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner
>>
>> I tried to modify the sendmail file with  :
>>         dnl SmtpGreetingMessage=mail.xxxx.com
>>
>> but apparently, nothing 's  changed
>>
>> - Should I modify something else ?
>>
>> Thanks

Hi MxtoolBox

thanks for your reply.
I would like effectively, decrease the risk to be considered as a Spam
If i an improve the "SPAM SCORE " that would be great !

However, my problem is that I don't know how to change my configuration
into Sendmail.

- Any idea how to change it ?

Thanks

From: Snuff on
> > On Nov 13, 1:56 am, Steve <St...(a)noreply.fr> wrote:
> >
> >> I tried to modify the sendmail file with  :
> >>         dnl SmtpGreetingMessage=mail.xxxx.com
>
> >> but apparently, nothing 's  changed
>
> >> - Should I modify something else ?
>
> >> Thanks

Try adding to your sendmail.mc:
LOCAL_NET_CONFIG
Djmail.xxxxx.com
From: Andrzej Adam Filip on
Snuff <darryl(a)bikeslut.com> wrote:

> Try adding to your sendmail.mc:
> LOCAL_NET_CONFIG
> Djmail.xxxxx.com

The following would be cleaner:
#v+
define(`confDOMAIN_NAME',`mail.xxxxx.com')
#v-

URL(s):
http://www.sendmail.org/m4/whoami.html

--
[pl>en Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi(a)onet.eu : Andrzej.Filip(a)gmail.com
While your friend holds you affectionately by both your hands you are