From: DavidM on
Don't know what the correct name is for this list, so not really been
able to do a sensible search - hope someone can help:

When you right click on a file in windows explorer (XP) you get a list
of things you can do with this file (open, edit, scan, send to etc
etc). Over the years mine list has got long and messy, with things I
no longer use, or use very infrequently, so I want to tidy it up and
remove some of these "short cuts". For the infrequently used actions
I'm happy just to open the application first then open the file from
within it.

So how can I reconfigure this list?

Thanks, David
From: Shenan Stanley on
DavidM wrote:
> Don't know what the correct name is for this list, so not really
> been able to do a sensible search - hope someone can help:
>
> When you right click on a file in windows explorer (XP) you get a
> list of things you can do with this file (open, edit, scan, send to
> etc etc). Over the years mine list has got long and messy, with
> things I no longer use, or use very infrequently, so I want to tidy
> it up and remove some of these "short cuts". For the infrequently
> used actions I'm happy just to open the application first then open
> the file from within it.
>
> So how can I reconfigure this list?

Download, install and use ShellExView (Shell Extensions Manager)
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

Direct Download Link:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview_setup.exe

I believe you mean the "Context Menu"...

Although the best way is to uninstall the things you don't use and/or if you
use them but don't want them listed in the menu - open the application and
configure that preference.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP