From: Vadim Zeitlin on
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 13:29:15 +0100 Dieter Oberkofler <doberkofler.lists(a)gmail.com> wrote:

DO> 1) Is there a (more or less) official roadmap for the future of wxWidgets

Not really. There are plans but calling them a roadmap would imply
assigning schedule to implementing them and currently we don't really have
it.

DO> 2) I've read a lot about upcoming Version 3 that includes Unicode but when
DO> looking at the documentation Unicode is already supported as a build option.
DO> Could someone help me to better understand?

wx 2.8 can be built in either ANSI or Unicode version. The main change in
wx 3.0 is that it will have only one build which will use Unicode
internally but provide API compatible with both the existing ANSI and
Unicode versions. This is very important for us as it reduces the number of
builds/packages (in addition to ANSI/Unicode there is also debug/release,
STL/non-STL, ...) and it's also important for wx users who didn't use
Unicode build of wx before because they unable to switch to wchar_t strings
everywhere.

Regards,
VZ

http://www.tt-solutions.com/
From: Dieter Oberkofler on
Thank you for your feedback!

ad 1) I understand. What would be the closest to a roadmap the project
currently has? Based on what "information" is the current development (there
is a lot of changes going on the trunk) triggered?
ad 2) Is there a documentation (any kind) of what is planned for version 3?
Will there be major API changes and are they known? Is there "any" schedule
for when version 3 might be ready?

I have continued with my testing and would have a few new questions:

3) I'm trying to understand the differences between the top-level Window
classes and especially between CFrame and CDialog. It seems as CFrame would
best fit our typical dialog classes as we typically use a Status Bar and
Toolbar. ON the other hand only CDialog has the modality features. What
would be the way to go if someone needs mixed features from each of those
two classes?
4) The typical event handling in wxWidgets seems to be static and
macro-based but according to the documentation it is also possible to
dynamically link events to a function. I have a hard time to understand how
this works and was not able to find a good example. Let's for example say
that I have a wxButton that should send it events to a function
OnButtonPressed and I would like to setup this event relationship at
runtime. Is there any good documentation or example on how to do so?

Thank you,
Dieter

From: Robert Roebling on

Dieter Oberkofler wrote:

> wxDialog vs. wxFrame:
> Understood: so it is ok to use wxDialog and (manually) just add
> a Toolbar and Status bar if needed.

This is only correct in theory, while in practice you'd
violate the most basic user interface guidelines and
experiences and could confuse your users.

Robert

From: "Dieter Oberkofler" doberkofler.lists on
Robert,
I completely agree with you!
In my case I'm currently trying to understand on how to emulate an existing
UI with wxWidgets and I have (at least some) windows being modal and having
a toolbar.
Thank you,
Dieter