From: Daave on
There has been a *lot* of talk lately about KB977165!

Many of us have seen ANGELKISSES420's nearly incoherent ramblings. I'm
not 100% convinced she is attempting to boot off the CD correctly. But
in the event she *is* having the problems she is claiming to have,
specifically this one:

the inability to boot off the CD unless she removes the problematic hard
drive and replaces it with a new one

.... what might be going on? MowGreen seems to think that the interaction
of KB977165 along with malware already present on the old hard drive
(quite possibly the Win32/Alureon.A rootkit) is causing this occurence.
But I don't understand how this is possible. When a PC is first turned
on, Windows doesn't even load yet! So, assuming the keyboard is correct
and working, one *can* normally enter the BIOS! The malware-induced
situation should not prevent this unless the malware has somehow invaded
the BIOS (and I would imagine only certain BIOSes would be affected if
this were the case, no?).

Once one is in the BIOS, one can rearrange the boot order so the CD-ROM
drive is first. So the next time the PC is turned on, as long as there
is a bootable CD in the CD drive, the option to boot off the Windows
installation CD is presented, the "anykey" is pressed, and the boot from
the CD is successful.

So, if ANGELKISSES420 is correct and she is unable to the above, what
might be going on? If somehow the malware entered the BIOS, why can she
boot off the CD after swapping hard drives?

From: David H. Lipman on
From: "Daave" <daave(a)example.com>

< snip >

| So, if ANGELKISSES420 is correct and she is unable to the above, what
| might be going on? If somehow the malware entered the BIOS, why can she
| boot off the CD after swapping hard drives?

/* There is NO malware that infects the BIOS. */

--
Dave

From: 20100214 on
I wouldn't take any notice of Mo green because her knowledge of computers
per se is incomplete and anyone trying to correct her is likely to be
branded a troll and his or her messages deleted from these newsgroups. I
have always argued with her on many things under the name of ANONYMOUS and
now M$ have black listed me because I reported Mo Green is a fat smelly tart
and she didn't like this at all.!!

From: Daave on
David H. Lipman wrote:
> From: "Daave" <daave(a)example.com>
>
> < snip >
>
>> So, if ANGELKISSES420 is correct and she is unable to the above, what
>> might be going on? If somehow the malware entered the BIOS, why can
>> she boot off the CD after swapping hard drives?
>
> /* There is NO malware that infects the BIOS. */

Assuming this is correct (and I believe that it is), is the following
assertion by MowGreen possible?:

<quote>
If you have entered the system's setup and configured it to boot from
the CD/DVD first and it still will not load the CD, it's a clear
indication that there is a root kit present.
What happened is that the update broke the root kit's 'functionality'
which in turn affected the CD player.
</quote>

(The above is from:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/dfc513f1ecb625ed?hl=en )

Mow has consistently provided high-quality advice, but this particular
assertion confuses me. As long as the rootkit's damage is limited to
Windows and the hard drive, why couldn't a person successfully boot off
a CD?

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Without physical (or remote) access to ANGELKISSES420's computer, answering
your question would be a rhetorical exercise at best.