From: jens_jansson on
Is it possible to use a router as an Access Point?

I have 100 mbit broadband (no modem or such) one point (soccet) with 5
dynamic public IP addresses from my ISP.

I want both my computers (one connected wireless to my router, the
other one connected by wire) to use public IP's.

As it is now I can only get it to work when using the router to supply
DHCP and thereby recieving private IP's for both computers.

I have a Dlink 524, (4lan ports 1wan and 6wirelss)

I've tried to connect the "internet" to one of the lan ports, and that
proved sucessfull when using the non wireless ports...but the wireless
network in the browser do not seem able to pass on DHCP information
from the ISP.

any suggestions?
do i need to buy an extra AP?

From: Bucky on
> Is it possible to use a router as an Access Point?

Yes. I don't know about the 5 IP addresses part, but I have done used a
wireless router as a pure access point.

1. Go into the wireless router configuration and disable DHCP.

2. Do not use the uplink/WAN port. Instead, connect a crossover
Ethernet cable from the one of the wireless router's LAN ports to your
internet source (DSL or cable modem).

A wireless router is basically a router + access point. What you're
doing is disabling/bypassing the router functionality.

From: Mark McIntyre on
On 31 Jan 2006 11:13:36 -0800, in alt.internet.wireless ,
jens_jansson(a)yahoo.se wrote:

>Is it possible to use a router as an Access Point?

Yes. A wireless router is simply an AP and a wired router in one box,
with the AP connected internally to one of the router's LAN ports.

>I want both my computers (one connected wireless to my router, the
>other one connected by wire) to use public IP's.

Your router should support a "DMZ" or something similar. This is
where you enter the public/private IP mappings so that to the outside
world, your PCs seem to have the specific public IPs you own.

>I've tried to connect the "internet" to one of the lan ports, and that
>proved sucessfull when using the non wireless ports...

although you are now not protected by any firewall in the router.

Mark McIntyre

[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <upsvt11o9u2d8tpd6id5h743n1mtd9r93d(a)4ax.com> on Tue, 31 Jan 2006 23:35:01
+0000, Mark McIntyre <markmcintyre(a)spamcop.net> wrote:

>On 31 Jan 2006 11:13:36 -0800, in alt.internet.wireless ,
>jens_jansson(a)yahoo.se wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to use a router as an Access Point?
>
>Yes. A wireless router is simply an AP and a wired router in one box,
>with the AP connected internally to one of the router's LAN ports.

Actually the WAN port.

>>I want both my computers (one connected wireless to my router, the
>>other one connected by wire) to use public IP's.
>
>Your router should support a "DMZ" or something similar. This is
>where you enter the public/private IP mappings so that to the outside
>world, your PCs seem to have the specific public IPs you own.

The "DMZ" in most low-end routers is simply a catchall mapping of one (and
only one) computer on the LAN to the WAN. To use multiple public IPs you need
to configure it as a bridge rather than a router (which varies by product).

>>I've tried to connect the "internet" to one of the lan ports, and that
>>proved sucessfull when using the non wireless ports...

Which turned it into a bridge.

>although you are now not protected by any firewall in the router.

True. To use the firewall, you need a "router" that can be configured as a
bridge.

--
Best regards, SEE THE FAQ FOR ALT.INTERNET.WIRELESS AT
John Navas <http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/FAQ_for_alt.internet.wireless>
From: Jeff Liebermann on
jens_jansson(a)yahoo.se hath wroth:

>Is it possible to use a router as an Access Point?

Yes.

>I have 100 mbit broadband (no modem or such) one point (soccet) with 5
>dynamic public IP addresses from my ISP.

Access points work on MAC address layer and know nothing about IP
addresses. The only thing the IP address in an access point does is
help with the web based setup and management. If you plug a typical
access point into your 5 IP address connection, you'll have all 5 IP
addresses available at the client computers.

>I want both my computers (one connected wireless to my router, the
>other one connected by wire) to use public IP's.
>As it is now I can only get it to work when using the router to supply
>DHCP and thereby recieving private IP's for both computers.

In theory, your ISP's DHCP server is smart enough to know if an IP
address has been issued to you and to not re-use it until the lease
has expired or until it's released. Therefore, you should be able to
plug in both computahs, set them for DHCP clients, and your ISP should
issue each one a different IP address.

>I have a Dlink 524, (4lan ports 1wan and 6wirelss)

Well, we have a problem here. Because your IP's are dynamic and not
static, and because the DI-524 does NOT have a DHCP client on the LAN
side, you will not be able to have the LAN IP address of the DI-524
automagically configured. You'll need to configure your DI-524
offline, with just a single PC plugged in, and then lose control when
connected to the 100Mbits/sec connection. Basically, you setup:
1. Nothing goes to the WAN port. Do NOT plug DI-524 into enything
other than the PC being used to configure it until last step.
2. Leave the IP address at the default (192.168.0.1).
3. After you have all the wireless stuff setup and working, disable
the DHCP server. If you need to do furthur configuration, you'll need
to setup your windows client for a temporary static IP address of:
IP = 192.168.0.5
NM = 255.255.255.0
GW = None
DNS= None
This will get you back to the configuration screens.
4. Finally, connect a cable beween one of the LAN ports on the DI-524
and what I guess you have a 100baseT switch. You may need a reverse
ethernet cable. Check the lights on the front of the switch and
DI-524. If they light up, you win. If not, build a crossover cable.
If you plug this cable in while configurating the router, and you have
the client computer set to DCHP, you will lose your connection to the
rotuer configuration.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl(a)comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Connection
Next: NextNet wireless RSU admin interface