From: Fred on
I have 3 computers all XP and a wireless Belkin router model F5d7630-4a.
Everything works perfectly on ethernet or wireless. I cannot set wap tp
password protect. If I set a password the computer just hangs 'waiting for
network' or 'acquiring network address' but never connects. I have enabled
mac filtering for some protection but would really like to set password. Any
help appreciated.

From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 15:44:28 +1200, "Fred" <general(a)zaradise.net.uk>
wrote:

>I have 3 computers all XP and a wireless Belkin router model F5d7630-4a.
>Everything works perfectly on ethernet or wireless. I cannot set wap tp
>password protect.

I think you mean WPA encryption. Make sure you set the router for WPA
Personal or WPA-PSK (pre-shared key) and NOT enterprise or RADIUS.

>If I set a password the computer just hangs 'waiting for
>network' or 'acquiring network address' but never connects.

Yeah. That's Microsofts way to telling you that you need to enter the
WPA password on the computer end. If they are mismatched in any way,
you get the "aquiring network address" message forever. Umm... did
your unspecified operating system ask you for a pass phrase when you
tried to connect? If not, delete the "profile" or entry for your
router in the computers connection manager and start over as if it
were a new connection (or profile).

>I have enabled
>mac filtering for some protection but would really like to set password. Any
>help appreciated.

Disable MAC protection. MAC addresses are easily spoofed.

Check your unspecified model Belkin router for the latest firmware.

If you need furthur help, it would be nice if you would uncover the
number keys on your your keyboard and disclose the model numbers of
the router and client computer, wireless devices, operating system,
revision level, connection manager, and anything else that might be
helpful.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl(a)cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
From: Fred on

"Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 15:44:28 +1200, "Fred" <general(a)zaradise.net.uk>
> wrote:
>
>>I have 3 computers all XP and a wireless Belkin router model F5d7630-4a.
>>Everything works perfectly on ethernet or wireless. I cannot set wap tp
>>password protect.
>
> I think you mean WPA encryption. Make sure you set the router for WPA
> Personal or WPA-PSK (pre-shared key) and NOT enterprise or RADIUS.
>
>>If I set a password the computer just hangs 'waiting for
>>network' or 'acquiring network address' but never connects.
>
> Yeah. That's Microsofts way to telling you that you need to enter the
> WPA password on the computer end. If they are mismatched in any way,
> you get the "aquiring network address" message forever. Umm... did
> your unspecified operating system ask you for a pass phrase when you
> tried to connect? If not, delete the "profile" or entry for your
> router in the computers connection manager and start over as if it
> were a new connection (or profile).
>
>>I have enabled
>>mac filtering for some protection but would really like to set password.
>>Any
>>help appreciated.
>
> Disable MAC protection. MAC addresses are easily spoofed.
>
> Check your unspecified model Belkin router for the latest firmware.
>
> If you need furthur help, it would be nice if you would uncover the
> number keys on your your keyboard and disclose the model numbers of
> the router and client computer, wireless devices, operating system,
> revision level, connection manager, and anything else that might be
> helpful.

Thanks - yes meant WPA. Have set for WPA-PSK. The only way I can enter
password is on the computer end so do not know what you mean by mismatched.
.. I have specified above that systems are all xp, and gave model number of
belkin unit, so not sure where to find anything else. Only wireless devices
are 3 laptops. I have several times reset router to factory default by
holding down the reset button, and also on the software interface. Then
set-up from scratch. 192.168.2.1. gains access.

From: Fred on

From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Sun, 7 Sep 2008 18:42:35 +1200, "Fred" <general(a)zaradise.net.uk>
wrote:

>Thanks - yes meant WPA. Have set for WPA-PSK.

That's correct. Did you assign a long and messy pass phrase?

>The only way I can enter
>password is on the computer end so do not know what you mean by mismatched.

Mismatched pass phrases means that you have different pass phrases on
the router and on the computer.

>I have specified above that systems are all xp,

Sorry, I missed that.

>and gave model number of
>belkin unit,

Sorry. The Belkin search didn't find anything on the model number. I
didn't notice that you were in UK. Searching a different Belkin site
yields a model F5D7630UK4A:
<http://www.belkin.com/support/download.asp?lang=1&download=F5D7630uk4A>
The latest firmware is 1.08.03. Is this what you have? If not,
update.

>so not sure where to find anything else.

Well, the laptops have a wireless card inside and use some form of
client manager. The most common for XP is WZC (Wireless Zero Config).
There are also wireless managers that come with aftermarket wireless
cards. Which are you trying to use?

>Only wireless devices
>are 3 laptops.

Do these laptops have a maker and model number?

>I have several times reset router to factory default by
>holding down the reset button, and also on the software interface. Then
>set-up from scratch. 192.168.2.1. gains access.

Good, so there's no garbage in the previously saved settings.

You didn't answer my previous questions, so I'll try once more:

1. Are you typing in a password on the laptop when it connects? If
not, delete the connection profile or WZC entry and start over as if
it were a new connection.

2. Did you disable the MAC address filtering? If not, please disable
the MAC address filtering until you get WPA working.

3. Did you verify the version number of the firmware in your Belkin
F5D7630UK4A? If not, please do so and update as necessary.

4. Did you verify the version number of whatever you're using for a
wireless device on your unspecified model laptops? If not, please
find the version number of the drivers and see if there are updates
available from the manufacturers web site.

5. Same version problem with the XP laptops. There were quite a few
updates to XP to fix various wireless issues. Right click on the "My
Computah" icon and select "properties". Does it say XP, XP SP1, XP
SP2, or XP SP3? You should be up to XP SP3. If not, update.

Incidentally, this has nothing to do with the current problem, but
there are a few "hidden pages" in the F5D7630 setup:
<http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/belkin_commands.htm>

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl(a)cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Helix antenna
Next: Is my 3Com 3CRWDR100A-72 dead?