From: Stephen Handley on
If anyone can help me on this it would be appreciated -it's driving me
mad...

I'm (trying) to implement asp.net web routing on an existing website I have
to update (web forms framework 3.5). I've followed
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd347546.aspx to the letter and
very good it is too, but it's not working.

I've added all the routing content to the web.config. I've added a
global.asax, added a RegisterRoutes method to update the RouteTable.Routes
collection with my custom route handler which implements the IRouteHandler
interface. Obviously, therefore my custom route handler implements the
interface (the single method GetHttpHandler returns IHttpHandler). I step
through the code, the route is added through the Application_Startup event
handler; I know the route has been added to the RouteTable.Routes
collection.

The problem is that the custom route handler's GetHttpHandler method doesn't
fire when I enter a url that matches the pattern that should invoke it. All
I get is a 404. I step through code with breakpoints in the GetHttpHandler
method and it never hits this code when the url should cause the method fire
and return my actual page.

To test that 1.) I did the setup correctly, and 2.) that it's not my pc, I
created a brand new asp.net web forms website from scratch with 2 pages, did
the same setup and it worked first time - the GetHttpHandler fired and
returned a page implementing the IHttpHandler interface no problem. (I'm
running 64-bit Windows 7, VS2010). So, I know there are no problems with the
setup of my machine, or following the instructions to configure web routing.

The site I'm modifying is using the AJAX control toolkit, and I wondered if
this might in someway affect things, so got that running on the brand new
test site and it still worked - it had no detrimental affect. Next, I copied
and swapped the web.config of the two sites (the 'real' site and the brand
new 'dummy') and yet again it made no difference - the brand new one still
worked and the 'real' site did not.

I've rebuild the site I've got to update and the build completes every time
with no problems whatsoever. I'm running out of ideas so if anyone has come
across this problem and has the answer I'd be truly grateful.

Thanks

Ste