From: Picky Mendoza on
Hi all
I'm running on my machine vindows vista home and ajust can not install
ruby 1.8.7 or 1.9.1 on my machine.
I used window-installer for this ruby release but after installing i can
not install any gems like rails or wxruby . After tipping in cmd : gem
install rails,it sais gem is not a internal or external command.
What to do to make ruby to work??

From: Robert Klemme on
On 23.05.2010 09:14, Picky Mendoza wrote:
> Hi all
> I'm running on my machine vindows vista home and ajust can not install
> ruby 1.8.7 or 1.9.1 on my machine.
> I used window-installer for this ruby release but after installing i can
> not install any gems like rails or wxruby . After tipping in cmd : gem
> install rails,it sais gem is not a internal or external command.
> What to do to make ruby to work??

Just guessing here: you may have to manually put the command's location
in your PATH environment variable.

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/
From: Luis Lavena on
On May 23, 4:14 am, Picky Mendoza <picky.mend...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi all
> I'm running on my machine vindows vista home and ajust can not install
> ruby 1.8.7 or 1.9.1 on my machine.

Did you use the installers from here?

http://rubyinstaller.org/

Did you check the option during installation to "Add Ruby executable
to PATH"?

> I used window-installer for this ruby release but after installing i can
> not install any gems like rails or wxruby . After tipping in cmd : gem
> install rails,it sais gem is not a internal or external command.

I'm not aware of any Window-installer, you refer to RubyInstaller?
Please see my previous comment about the lack of checking the box
during installation.

Even if you don't added to the path, you can start a personalized
command prompt from the application folder named "Command Prompt with
Ruby 1.8.7"

HTH,
--
Luis Lavena
From: Karthikeyan A K on

I use Ubutu, but since I have been using windows before here are some
tips. Goto command prompt type:
ruby -v
if you get something like this:
You have installed Ruby successfully.

To install gem click this link:
http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/70697/rubygems-1.3.7.zip , once
you have downloaded it, extract it, navigate to the extracted directory
with your command prompt and type ruby setup.rb

I hope things will work fine.

On Sun, 2010-05-23 at 16:14 +0900, Picky Mendoza wrote:

> Hi all
> I'm running on my machine vindows vista home and ajust can not install
> ruby 1.8.7 or 1.9.1 on my machine.
> I used window-installer for this ruby release but after installing i can
> not install any gems like rails or wxruby . After tipping in cmd : gem
> install rails,it sais gem is not a internal or external command.
> What to do to make ruby to work??

Regards
A.K.Karthikeyan,
Prop. Mind As Lab