From: John Briggs on
Chuck Remes wrote:
> You might want to try the release from ruby-lang.org [1]. It is built
> differently than the version you are running (I assume you got it from
> rubyinstaller.org).

Thanks for your reply. Going to give a try right now.

From: John Briggs on
John Briggs wrote:
> ... Going to give a try right now.

Unfortunately I get the same crash with mswin32 build. :(

From: Chuck Remes on
On Apr 21, 2010, at 10:36 AM, John Briggs wrote:

> John Briggs wrote:
>> ... Going to give a try right now.
>
> Unfortunately I get the same crash with mswin32 build. :(

Then it's a genuine bug that you should report.

You might also want to give IronRuby and JRuby a try. Both run on Windows.

cr

From: John Briggs on
Chuck Remes wrote:
> Then it's a genuine bug that you should report.
>
> You might also want to give IronRuby and JRuby a try. Both run on
> Windows.
>
> cr

Already reported: http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/show/3183
Thanks for your suggestions.

From: John Briggs on
Luis Lavena wrote:
> As for the original reporter of the issue:
>
> You're trying to "print" to STDOUT from different threads, which will
> produce a race conditions and depending other operations you're
> performing, highly likely will crash.
>
> Add to that, you're trying to spawn 700 threads, which spawned quickly
> will generate overhead and highly likely you're exhausting resources
> in the process (since you don't get a backtrace of your test script)
>
> But more concrete, exhausting of resources could be associated with
> available descriptors that Ruby 1.9 has been compiled for.

Actually I get the crash for both 700 threads and 10 threads. Initially
I wrote the script with 25 threads and the 700 one remained from the
last tests.
Also I tried to put delays between thread spawning but couldn't get rid
of the crash.
And one more thing: I tried to run this script on JRuby and it works
without problems even with 700 threads and without any delays, so the
problem doesn't seem to be in threads amount or resources exhausting.