From: Marc Hoeppner on
Hi,

I am trying to specify the version a gem, which is installed in two
versions under slightly different names as a result of forked projects
which we now intend to merge back.

Looks like this in 'gem list'
ruby-foo-bar (0.9.2)
foo-bar (0.9)

Both are supposedly required with:
require 'bar'

Now, I need to specifiy which of the two to use for my script - and I
started with

require 'rubygems'
gem 'bar', '0.9.2'

Throws an error
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:827:in `report_activate_error': Could not
find RubyGem bar (= 0.9.2) (Gem::LoadError)

Ok, so then I tried specifiying the names as they appear in the 'gem
list'

require 'rubygems'
gem 'ruby-foo-bar', '0.9.2'

That doesn't throw an error, but the game is apparently not loaded as
the modules and classes are not recognized subsequently.

System is a fairly fresh install of Ubuntu 9.19, 64 bit and ruby 1.8.7,
rubygems version is 1.3.5

Any advice would be appreciated.

From: Ryan Davis on

On Nov 26, 2009, at 00:59 , Marc Hoeppner wrote:

> require 'rubygems'
> gem 'ruby-foo-bar', '0.9.2'
>
> That doesn't throw an error, but the game is apparently not loaded as
> the modules and classes are not recognized subsequently.

gem doesn't load any files, it just activates the right gem.

require 'rubygems'
gem 'ruby-foo-bar', '0.9.2'
require 'bar'

Pages: 1