From: Eleanor McHugh on
On 6 Jul 2010, at 19:56, Chuck Remes wrote:
> On Jul 2, 2010, at 5:57 PM, Eleanor McHugh wrote:
>> I seem to have been missing in action for the best part of six months so I thought it was about time I put together a progress report and pimped the vapourware in hopes of finding some likeminded miscreants/dilettantes to turn it into something more substantial.
>> [snip]
>>
>> However the ultimate destination is RubyGoLightly, the Ruby runtime that scratches the itch of using Ruby as a systems language. No promises about where or when, and very few about how... but I promise to check in with another status report in a few months that will hopefully be more insightful.
>
> Perhaps this will be of some interest?
>
> http://github.com/brixen/gor
>
> It is the Go language running on the rubinius VM.

Thanks for the link :)

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://feyeleanor.tel
----

From: Eleanor McHugh on
On 8 Jul 2010, at 10:05, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> An eminently entertaining post! I think there's even a few areas
> you've added since we had a chance to talk last!

Glad you enjoyed it :)

The basic roadmap's been coalescing for a few years now based on my experiences with implementing various languages and some VM design work I did in the late 90s but the thought of tackling a project on this scale in C or C++ was always too painful given I'd be writing all the proofs of concept on my own. Just by having GC, CSP-style concurrency and a reasonable hash table core data type Go's already solved me months of effort, and whilst it lacks Ruby's handy meta-programming features it has a few neat tricks of its own which make it quick to write and easy to debug. I guess it's the hammer I've been after for this particular job...

Anyway as you can probably tell most of my current effort's going into the VM side of things and I'm keeping the details of that fairly close to my chest for the time being so as not to raise any false hopes: a lot of the ideas I'm playing with are a bit (?) mad and a nagging voice in the back of my head keeps suggesting that mainstream VMs must work the way they do for a good reason. However there's a reasonable chance I'll be speaking at Strange Loop about GoLightly and VM design in general, and if that goes ahead it's possible I'll have the next major release of GoLightly on github around then.

> Seriously though...I think I'm starting to understand what you really
> want from Ruby: real systems-level programming without a lot of weird
> dynlang/VM encumbrances and a consistent but transparent abstraction
> of platform-specifics. C with fewer "types", higher-level APIs, and no
> requirement for explicit memory-management. I'm in :)

Well that's the dream.

The alternative is the nightmare vision laid out in my Plumber's Guide sessions: loading libc and pretending you're a C programmer ;)

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://feyeleanor.tel