From: Just Me on
i have a small VB6 app the a customer has purchased several versions
of and wishes to run on a new W7 computer with the 64bit pro version
installed.The app installed and runs on my W7 pro with no problems,my
version is 32 bit.the install questions the stole32.tib file,it hangs
on try again so I try ignore and the install finishes fine.on starting
the app I get an error 5 and the app terminates.Is it the 64bit OS or
something else?I suggested that my customer install the virtual PC/XP
emulator and try again but thinking about it it's still going to be
64bit OS.I use inno setup,although it's a couple versions old,I'll
upgrade the inno setup to the latest and try that.Do I have to compile
the setup on a 64bit machine? and offer a choice of 32 or 64 bit
setups.Some of these OS issue flummox me as I really just assembled
the part of my app with out a lot of real understanding of what was
going on,it just worked.
Any suggestion appreciated
From: C. Kevin Provance on
You should post this to the Inno NG.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43606237254

From: Ulrich Korndoerfer on
Hi,

Just Me schrieb:
> i have a small VB6 app the a customer has purchased several versions
> of and wishes to run on a new W7 computer with the 64bit pro version
> installed.The app installed and runs on my W7 pro with no problems,my
> version is 32 bit.the install questions the stole32.tib file,it hangs
> on try again so I try ignore and the install finishes fine.on starting
> the app I get an error 5 and the app terminates.Is it the 64bit OS or
> something else?I suggested that my customer install the virtual PC/XP
> emulator and try again but thinking about it it's still going to be
> 64bit OS.I use inno setup,although it's a couple versions old,I'll
> upgrade the inno setup to the latest and try that.Do I have to compile
> the setup on a 64bit machine? and offer a choice of 32 or 64 bit
> setups.Some of these OS issue flummox me as I really just assembled
> the part of my app with out a lot of real understanding of what was
> going on,it just worked.
> Any suggestion appreciated

I *copied* some (simple) VB6 apps of mine to a W7/64bit machine and they
ran without a hitch.

If a setup is necessary, you should avoid to include stdole32.tlb in the
setup or any other system files that are already on the machine. I
wonder how your setup on a W7/32 bit machine could run then too.

--
Ulrich Korndoerfer

VB tips, helpers, solutions -> http://www.proSource.de/Downloads/
From: Nobody on
"Just Me" <mutantmachinist(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I use inno setup,although it's a couple versions old,I'll
> upgrade the inno setup to the latest and try that.Do I have to compile
> the setup on a 64bit machine? and offer a choice of 32 or 64 bit
> setups.Some of these OS issue flummox me as I really just assembled
> the part of my app with out a lot of real understanding of what was
> going on,it just worked.

No need to mess or use any of the 32/64 bit stuff. Inno deals with it
automatically. You need to update your Inno Installation and also change how
the runtimes are installed. Download the ANSI version, not the Unicode
version. The Unicode version require Windows 2000+, while the ANSI version
requires Windows 95+. See this post for what you need to change in your
script:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion/msg/eb996498a896dd3c

You need to change the list of the 6 runtime files by using what's shown
here:

http://www.jrsoftware.org/iskb.php?vb

You don't need to use SP6 files. Change the source path as needed. Note how
each line now include "OnlyBelowVersion: 0,6", which means only process the
entries for Windows 9x/NT4/2000/XP/2003 Server. Vista is version 6.0, so
it's excluded and anything after it. Vista/2008 Server/7 already come with
VB6 SP6 runtime, so there is no need to update them. If MS came up with
Windows 8 that doesn't include the runtime, it's easy to change the script
so to install only on certain OS'es.

From: GS on
Windows 7 does not ship with various runtimes that MS has included in
previous versions of Windows, up to and including Vista. That requires us to
ship these runtimes with our apps and handle registration accordingly if we
use the unsupported runtimes. The same apps run on Vista 64bit edition
without shipping the runtimes, and so is a clear indication that the missing
stuff applies to Windows 7 onward as outlined in the MS support statement on
VB6 and Windows7 found here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vbasic/ms788708.aspx.

You might find it interesting that among the excluded runtimes is
comdlg32.ocx and comctl32.ocx, for which Win7 includes DLLs only in its
System32 folder. (Hmm, I wonder if using DLLs via References would be an
optional alternative to shipping runtimes<??>)

The 64bit edition presents additional issues regarding installation because
it puts 32bit apps into the Program Files (x86) folder if we specify Program
Files as the target parent for our app folder. This isn't much of an issue in
itself but is something to be aware of when writing install scripts. Fact is,
we don't need to change anything we would normally do because WOW handles
this for us and so the same install script for a 32 bit OS works in a 64bit
OS. What's different about Windows 64bit is the UAC allows write access to
the Program Files (x86) folder. I suspect this is because the ProgramData
folder belongs to the 64bit OS. In this case that suits me fine because our
app files don't need to be spread all over the place; (which, to say the very
least, is clearly a nuisance anyway!)

What get's tricky is how we handle the distribution and registration
depending on the OS version our install utility is running on. What makes
this so is that Vista is version 6.0 and, according to my 32bit app using a
WMI query to Win32_OperatingSystem, Windows 7 is version 6.1 <for some
strange reason>. <<Perhaps this is an indication that Vista has officially
been overhauled, but then..???!>> This might be fairly easy to manage with
the newer install utilities but I still use Wise v9x and so it won't let me
isolate v6.1 for some reason. It has built in constants for Win95 through to
XP only. The documentation says it returns version info in #.## format, but
its script IF statement doesn't seem to be able to work with that. It works
fine with whole numbers. (..though I suppose I should upgrade to a newer
version <ugh!>) To avoid having to make a separate Win7 installer I just
include the files regardless of OS and let the app manage the registration
(or removal if not required) at first startup.

HTH
Garry