From: ZielonySBS on
Dear All,

I am haveing a weird problem. The company server crashes after midnight
when backups The First Storage Group.

There is nothing in logs. Backup starts at 21.30 and runs sometimes ok. The
backup backs up the First Storage Group just after midnight when the crash
has been happend.

Recent changes:

1. I installed additional volume 2 x 260Gb drive in RAID 1
2. I moved exchange database to the new volume

After that the backup had been running for a week withought any problems.

3. I have changed a backup shadule to a shared NAS volume.

Since this change I keep having the crash after midnight.

Please Help!

From: John Oliver, Jr. [MVP] on
Ok, any errors reported in the backup log? Have you tried running a manual
backup during working hours of just the Storage Group to if the issue
repeats itself? Sounds like your NAS drive is not formatted correctly or is
not large enough, but that is just a guess.

--
John Oliver, Jr
MCSE, MCT, CCNA

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Thu, 13 May 2010 09:15:36 +0100, "ZielonySBS" <ZielonySBS(a)wp.pl>
wrote:

>I am haveing a weird problem. The company server crashes after midnight
>when backups The First Storage Group.
>
>There is nothing in logs. Backup starts at 21.30 and runs sometimes ok. The
>backup backs up the First Storage Group just after midnight when the crash
>has been happend.
>
>Recent changes:
>
>1. I installed additional volume 2 x 260Gb drive in RAID 1
>2. I moved exchange database to the new volume
>
>After that the backup had been running for a week withought any problems.
>
>3. I have changed a backup shadule to a shared NAS volume.
>
>Since this change I keep having the crash after midnight.

Crashes happen in kernal mode and Exchange runs in user mode. If
there's a crash the debug code and parameters are recorded in the
system log. Those values should tell you what the problem is (at least
in general terms). If the system just "black screens" (and there's no
crash recorded) then it's likely that the problem is hardware related.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
From: ZielonySBS on
Rich thank you for your reply,

I got back to privious backup destination I mean to a local drive (still NAS
but recognise as a local server drive).

After a week server crashed again that indicates that there is something
wrong with a new RAID 1 where I have moved Exchange database.

How can I collect more detailed logs. There is nothing in a system log.
Sometimes the server displays a welcome page to log in but is complitely
freezed.

Any idea ?

Tom
ps. Server Proliant ML 150 G3 RAID 5 + RAID 1

From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Sat, 22 May 2010 15:23:46 +0100, "ZielonySBS" <ZielonySBS(a)wp.pl>
wrote:

>Rich thank you for your reply,
>
>I got back to privious backup destination I mean to a local drive (still NAS
>but recognise as a local server drive).
>
>After a week server crashed again that indicates that there is something
>wrong with a new RAID 1 where I have moved Exchange database.
>
>How can I collect more detailed logs. There is nothing in a system log.
>Sometimes the server displays a welcome page to log in but is complitely
>freezed.

If the system crashes and there's nothing recorded in the systme log
that usually points to a problem with the disc controller. But the
problem can be anywhere on the motherboard.

There may be some diagnostic information on the machine, though. Time
to call HP and have them tell you what's going on.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP