From: David Murray on
Has anyone ever created a documentary either in audio (podcast) or
video form that talks about the history of the SID chip and the music
scene that evolved around it?

Second question - Is there a list somewhere of the top, most popular
SID songs ever? I mean I've been trying to listen to the millions in
the HVSC in my iPod but there doesn't appear to be any kind of ranking
system and a lot of it is just junk.
From: Six of Style on
David Murray <adric22(a)yahoo.com> wrote in news:6cf4ddab-685e-4129-9652-
f920d5bcef28(a)i12g2000vbi.googlegroups.com:

> Has anyone ever created a documentary either in audio (podcast) or
> video form that talks about the history of the SID chip and the music
> scene that evolved around it?
>
> Second question - Is there a list somewhere of the top, most popular
> SID songs ever? I mean I've been trying to listen to the millions in
> the HVSC in my iPod but there doesn't appear to be any kind of ranking
> system and a lot of it is just junk.

If you're using the SID Player app from the app store, there's an HVSC top
100 playlist built in.

6
From: iAN CooG on
David Murray <adric22(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Second question - Is there a list somewhere of the top, most popular
> SID songs ever?

Definition of most popular is matter of personal taste. Some ppl find
/GAMES/M-R/M_U_L_E.sid superb, I find it boring and crappy.

HVSC/DOCUMENTS/Creators.txt contain a "top 100" list from long time ago,
based on HVSC users response, made long time ago.

For example that chart doesn't include

/MUSICIANS/J/Jeff/
/MUSICIANS/D/DRAX/
/MUSICIANS/H/Holt_Hein/
/MUSICIANS/J/Jammer/
/MUSICIANS/W/Wacek/
/MUSICIANS/M/MozIcArt/Tjelta_Geir/
/MUSICIANS/B/Blues_Muz/Gallefoss_Glenn/
/MUSICIANS/B/Blues_Muz/Nordboe_Kjell/
/MUSICIANS/S/Shavitt_Guy/
/MUSICIANS/L/Linus/

....and dozens of other authors that surely made today's SID scene great as
it is.

> and a lot of it is just junk.

Heh, agreed, but we're not here to judge but to preserve =)

--
-=[]=--- iAN CooG/HVSC & C64Intros ---=[]=-

From: Ladmo on
On Apr 12, 9:30 am, David Murray <adri...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Has anyone ever created a documentary either in audio (podcast) or
> video form that talks about the history of the SID chip and the music
> scene that evolved around it?
>
> Second question - Is there a list somewhere of the top, most popular
> SID songs ever?  I mean I've been trying to listen to the millions in
> the HVSC in my iPod but there doesn't appear to be any kind of ranking
> system and a lot of it is just junk.

Any history of the SID should surely discuss Mr Chamberlain. He wrote
the book for Compute! on music for the 64 and 128, and also, I belive
the SID music composition software.

Any serious collection of tunes for the SID should have some by David
Whittaker (who did the music for many, many games 'back in the day')
including 'Lazy Jones'...

Just my opinion, but there it is.

From: David Murray on
> Any history of the SID should surely discuss Mr Chamberlain. He wrote
> the book for Compute! on music for the 64 and 128, and also, I belive
> the SID music composition software.

Good to know.. Since no documentary exists, I'm tempted to create one
myself. But I'm not 100% sure I know enough on the subject to really
do it justice.

> Any serious collection of tunes for the SID should have some by David
> Whittaker (who did the music for many, many games 'back in the day')
> including 'Lazy Jones'...

Funny, I had never even heard of him. I looked him up and the only
game I ever played with his music was "Panther" which I must admit
does have very good music.