From: Heinz Diehl on
On 10.07.2010, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> The following patchset cleans some pieces up and then equips SLUB with
> per cpu queues that work similar to SLABs queues. With that approach
> SLUB wins significantly in hackbench and improves also on tcp_rr.

The patchset applies cleanly, however compilation fails with

[....]
mm/slub.c: In function 'alloc_kmem_cache_cpus':
mm/slub.c:2093: error: negative width in bit-field '<anonymous>'
make[1]: *** [mm/slub.o] Error 1
make: *** [mm] Error 2
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
[....]

From: Christoph Lameter on
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010, Heinz Diehl wrote:

> On 10.07.2010, Christoph Lameter wrote:
>
> > The following patchset cleans some pieces up and then equips SLUB with
> > per cpu queues that work similar to SLABs queues. With that approach
> > SLUB wins significantly in hackbench and improves also on tcp_rr.
>
> The patchset applies cleanly, however compilation fails with
>
> [....]
> mm/slub.c: In function ‘alloc_kmem_cache_cpus’:
> mm/slub.c:2093: error: negative width in bit-field ‘<anonymous>’
> make[1]: *** [mm/slub.o] Error 1
> make: *** [mm] Error 2
> make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
> [....]

You need a sufficient PERCPU_DYNAMIC_EARLY_SIZE to be configured. What
platform is this? Tejon: You suggested the BUILD_BUG_ON(). How can he
increase the early size?

From: Heinz Diehl on
On 12.07.2010, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> You need a sufficient PERCPU_DYNAMIC_EARLY_SIZE to be configured. What
> platform is this?

This is an AMD Phenom II X4-905e with 8GB RAM and an (heavily modified)
opensuse 11.1 64-bit with kernel 2.6.35-rc4-git4 (vanilla from kernel.org, no
distribution kernel). Dmesg is attached.

Thanks,
Heinz.
From: Christoph Lameter on
On Mon, 12 Jul 2010, Heinz Diehl wrote:

> On 12.07.2010, Christoph Lameter wrote:
>
> > You need a sufficient PERCPU_DYNAMIC_EARLY_SIZE to be configured. What
> > platform is this?
>
> This is an AMD Phenom II X4-905e with 8GB RAM and an (heavily modified)
> opensuse 11.1 64-bit with kernel 2.6.35-rc4-git4 (vanilla from kernel.org, no
> distribution kernel). Dmesg is attached.

Can you get us the config file. What is the value of
PERCPU_DYMAMIC_EARLY_SIZE?

I have run this on x86 for a long time. Why does the percpu subsystem
have a lower PERCPU_DYNAMIC_EARLY_SIZE on Heinzes system?
From: Heinz Diehl on
On 13.07.2010, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> Can you get us the config file. What is the value of
> PERCPU_DYMAMIC_EARLY_SIZE?

My .config file is attached. I don't know how to find out what value
PERCPU_DYNAMIC_EARLY_SIZE is actually on, how could I do that? There's
no such thing in my .config.