From: Gaurav Kumar on
Hi All, Ash, Angelo,

Any ideas how to send an email in PHP on windows platform/xp on local
development machine.

System Configuration
PHP 5.2
Apache 2
No ISS
NO SMTP

Any trusted SMTP software to install on local development machine and how to
set it up with php to send an email?

Also just providing the SMTP server details in php.ini will not work for me
as this requires authentication/credentials etc..

Thanks,

Gaurav Kumar
blog.oswebstudio.com
From: Gaurav Kumar on
Sorry Kim, don't want to use phpmailer script or manually setting user
accounts u/p in the script.

From: vikash.iitb on
You can install any smtp server on your windows machine and the mail() will
work with default settings. You can check this out:
http://www.softstack.com/freesmtp.html

Thanks,

Vikash Kumar
http://vika.sh

From: Richard Quadling on
2010/1/15 <vikash.iitb(a)gmail.com>:
> You can install any smtp server on your windows machine and the mail() will
> work with default settings. You can check this out:
> http://www.softstack.com/freesmtp.html
>
> Thanks,
>
> Vikash Kumar
> http://vika.sh
>

> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 5:30 PM, Gaurav Kumar
> <kumargauravjukebox(a)gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Sorry Kim, don't want to use phpmailer script or manually setting user
>> accounts u/p in the script.
>>

>> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Kim Madsen <php.net(a)emax.dk> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Gaurav
>> >
>> > Gaurav Kumar wrote on 15/01/2010 09:54:
>> >

>> >  NO SMTP

>> how

>> > Get PHPmailer and make a gmail account that you connect to and mail
>> > through.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Kind regards
>> > Kim Emax - masterminds.dk

You only need a local SMTP server if you want to hold and relay mail.

If you want to send mail directly to the recipients SMTP server you
can do that with standard PHP.

getmxrr() is your friend here.

You provide it with the domain of the recipient and you get back the
SMTP server(s) associated with that domain.

Now, you can send the message to THEIR smtp server ...

ini_set('SMTP', xxxx);

where xxxx is one of the servers returned from getmxrr().

No authentication required.

--
-----
Richard Quadling
From: Gaurav Kumar on
Hi Richard, The problem is that if I am using any open source software or
any other pre-built software then I will not be able to manage through
ini_set.

Also http://www.softstack.com/freesmtp.html which vikash mentioned works
through outlook settings.

Anyways the below will help-