From: rbb on
BPSK has a 3dB better SNR than coherent OOK(FSK) for a given BER, say
10^-3. Is this due to the DSB-SC nature of BPSK, such that the sidebands
add coherently, while the noise adds randomly. Thus in the BPSK
demodulator the signal is increased by 2x, while the noise remains the
same, which decreases the SNR by 3dB?

Thanks.
From: dvsarwate on
On Feb 15, 10:06 am, "rbb" <Rory.Bucha...(a)onsemi.com> wrote:
> BPSK has a 3dB better SNR than coherent OOK(FSK) for a given BER, say
> 10^-3.  Is this due to the DSB-SC nature of BPSK, such that the sidebands
> add coherently, while the noise adds randomly.

No, the improvement is not due to the DSB-SC nature of BPSK.

> Thus in the BPSK
> demodulator the signal is increased by 2x, while the noise remains the
> same, which decreases the SNR by 3dB?

I don't understand how increasing signal by 2x with noise
remaining the same ***decreases*** SNR by 3 dB.
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

rbb wrote:

> BPSK has a 3dB better SNR than coherent OOK(FSK) for a given BER, say
> 10^-3.

Uhm, no. Ideally, for the same average transmit power, BPSK has 3dB
advantage over OOK, and 1.7dB over FSK.

Is this due to the DSB-SC nature of BPSK, such that the sidebands
> add coherently, while the noise adds randomly. Thus in the BPSK
> demodulator the signal is increased by 2x, while the noise remains the
> same, which decreases the SNR by 3dB?

Think constellations and euclidean distances.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com
From: rbb on

>I don't understand how increasing signal by 2x with noise
>remaining the same ***decreases*** SNR by 3 dB.

Sorry. Increases the SNR by 3dB.
From: dvsarwate on
Suppose that s0(t) and s1(t) are the two signals
in a binary communication system. Define

sc(t) = [s0(t) + s1(t)]/2 as the *common* signal and

sd(t) = [s0(t) - s1(t)]/2 as the *difference* signal.

Then, s0(t) = sc(t) + sd(t) and s1(t) = sc(t) - sd(t)
meaning that the common signal is always transmitted
while the data is being transmitted by the *antipodal*
signal set {+sd(t), -sd(t)}. The energy in the common
signal does not contribute to the data transmission at
all, and in fact is wasted in the sense that the BER
is Q(sqrt{2Ed/N0}) where Q is the complementary
unit Gaussian CDF and Ed is the energy in the
difference signal.

In BPSK, the common signal is 0 and no energy is
wasted. In OOK or orthogonal FSK, some energy
is wasted in the common signal. Let's be specific:
BPSK uses the signal set {+s(t), -s(t)} with no
common signal and achieves BER of Q(sqrt{2E/N0})
where E is the energy in s(t). The energy per bit
is also E. To get the same BER with OOK, we
would need to use signal set {0, 2s(t)} so that
the common signal is sc(t) = s(t) and the difference
signal is +- s(t) giving rise to the same BER. But
the energy being transmitted is either 0 or 4E
(for an average energy of 2E per bit). Thus,
OOK needs twice as much energy per bit to
get the same BER which accounts for the usual
statement of a 3 dB difference between OOK and
BPSK. One should also keep in mind possible peak
power limitations since OOK needs 4 times the
peak power as BPSK.

Hope this helps.

Dilip Sarwate