From: Kevin the Drummer on
About 3 months ago I was having trouble with my msec nightly cronjob
trying to search the remote disks of every host I have listed in
/etc/hosts It would do that because autofs would mount all of those
hosts in /net/<fqdn_hostname> A few days ago I discovered that if I
change from the default of "yes" to

BROWSE_MODE="no"

in /etc/autofs/autofs.conf and restart the autofs service, then the
hosts do not get mounted in /net and msec doesn't try to scan their
directories.

I hope this helps someone else.

Yah!