From: John Braner on
On 22/04/2010 19:11, Rick Paul wrote:
> "John Braner"<me(a)myhouse.com> wrote in message
>> There is no "punch" on the snare drum. If the drums aren't over
>> compressed, then something has happened to the snare to "bury" it. Is
>> there a load of reverb on the drums?
>
> I'm just using EZ Drummer's Nashville set, with one of the presets (probably
> the default one) on the drums to blend to a stereo track. Processing beyond
> that is fairly minimal. Off the top of my head I know I sent it to PSP
> VintageWarmer 2 with a track to tape preset, which would add some overall
> drum set compression, and I send a very minimal amount of the drums to the
> room reverb to try and blend them with the rest of the tracks a bit more.
> The Nashville EZX preset I'm using already has room mics for the drums, so I
> don't want to add much reverb beyond that. I think the only other
> processing I did on the drums was running it through Channel Tools to narrow
> the stereo field, shooting for more of a stage setup perspective on the
> "band", as opposed to drums that seem to be as wide as the rest of the band.
> If I did anything beyond that, I might have used some EQ to make some minor
> reductions in the 3 kHz and/or 200 Hz areas to let the vocals come through
> more there (basically presence and warmth territories), but I don't recall
> having done that on this project, and I don't have it open at the moment.
>
>> Great song though.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Rick

could something have gotten out of phase - and maybe doing some comb filtering? something is
definitely being "lost" ;-)

--
===========
John Braner

jbraner(a)NOblueyonderSPAM.co.uk
http://cdbaby.com/cd/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
From: Sue Morton on
I hope you get that chance, Rick. Best of luck to you,
--
Sue Morton

From: Neil Rutman on
Hey Rick,

This is much, much better. I can appreciate the song a lot more now. Very
cool.
A few things still could make this much better - 2 main ones:
1. Steve eluded to this. The band doesn't sound tight to me. Pretty loose
and I think it may all start with the drums. I would solo the drums with a
click and make sure it is consistent throughout. Then add bass and do the
same thing - adding each instrument one at a time to make sure it's all
really tight.

2. The lead vocal doesn't cut through enough. I don't think this is a volume
issue as much as a frequency one. Good trick here is to separate lead voc
from the rest of the track and use freq analyser to see what the main voc
frequencies are and dip those frequencies on the rest of the track.

My 2 cents.

Neil R