From: klee12 on
Hello,

I have Slackware 10.0, and want to convert a .wav to .mp3 file. I run

sox z.wav z.mp3

and I get the reply

sox: Sorry, no MP3 encoding support

I can play mp3 files with the play command. I have the libmad library
installed. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

klee12

From: Shane on
On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 00:29:04 -0700, klee12 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have Slackware 10.0, and want to convert a .wav to .mp3 file. I run
>
> sox z.wav z.mp3
>
> and I get the reply
>

> sox: Sorry, no MP3 encoding support
>
> I can play mp3 files with the play command. I have the libmad library
> installed. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> klee12

give this a go
mpg123 -s mysong.mp3 | sox -t raw -r 44100 -s -w -c 2 - mysong.wav
and see what happens

From: Loki Harfagr on
Le Mon, 25 Apr 2005 00:29:04 -0700, klee12 a ýcritý:

> Hello,
>
> I have Slackware 10.0, and want to convert a .wav to .mp3 file. I run
>
> sox z.wav z.mp3
>
> and I get the reply
>

> sox: Sorry, no MP3 encoding support
>
> I can play mp3 files with the play command. I have the libmad library
> installed. What am I doing wrong?

Check this, based on what found in the man page :

# sox -h 2>&1 |grep -c mp3
1

If you get one, report and we'll try and guess elsewhat :D)
If you get zero it's time to check why your sox isn't build
with mp3 support (configure ?)

======
.mp3 MP3 Compressed Audio
MP3 audio files come from the MPEG standards for audio and video compression. They are a lossy compression format that
achieves good compression rates with a minimum amount of quality loss. Also see Ogg Vorbis for a similar format. MP3 sup-
port in SoX is optional and requires access to either or both the external libmad and libmp3lame libraries. To see if
there is support for Mp3 run sox -h and look for it under the list of supported file formats as "mp3".

From: Thomas Overgaard on

klee wrote :

> I can play mp3 files with the play command. I have the libmad library
> installed. What am I doing wrong?

You are missing "lame" because sox requires lame when it comes to
writing mp3's.
--
Thomas O.

From: klee12 on
Thanks for all your replies:

Thomas Overgaard wrote:

....snip...

> You are missing "lame" because sox requires lame when it comes to
> writing mp3's.
> --
> Thomas O.

This seems reasonable; I done a locate on lame, and can't come up with
anything. I've gone to PACKAGES.TXT
searched for lame, and couldn't find anything. Did PV omit that
library? If so maybe someone should contact him
(I'm a newbie to Slackware so I hesitate).

What I've done is compress to a .vorbis file, but for various reasons I
would like to use mp3. Is there
anything out there that can do the conversion? Can I get the "lame"
library out there and install it myself?

Thanks

klee12

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2