From: FlaBill on
My friend tried to d/l SP3 via dial-up and of course it failed. My
question is will fragments or remnants of the attempt be left on his
pc?
If so how can they be found and removed?

Bill
From: Paul on
FlaBill wrote:
> My friend tried to d/l SP3 via dial-up and of course it failed. My
> question is will fragments or remnants of the attempt be left on his
> pc?
> If so how can they be found and removed?
>
> Bill

If you know someone on broadband, they may be able to download SP3
for you. It's also possible you can order the CD with that
on it. Burn either of these to a CD. For the first one,
you'd drag and drop that for CD burning perhaps (as it is considered
a "data" file, an .exe), while the second file is an ISO9660,
and you could use something like Nero or Imgburn to transfer
that to a CD properly.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e&DisplayLang=en

There are examples of tools for ISO9660 files here. Some of them
are free, so there is no need to pay for one. I got a copy
of Nero with my burner, so it didn't cost me anything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ISO_image_software

As for where that failed download went, I wouldn't worry about it.

There are options for searching for large files. Even the Windows
search, in its advanced section, offers an option to search
by file size. You could ask for a list of all files bigger
than 100MB for example, assuming your friend got 100MB worth
before it quit. If your friend knows the amount of time
spent downloading, before failure, and say, the dialup
modem achieves 5KB/sec rate, you can do the math and work
out the approximate size of the failed item.

SequoiaView is a tool, for visualizing large files, as a map of
variable sized rectangles. This is also helpful if you're doing
disk cleanup and want to know what is hogging space. The only
problem is, their FTP server is not working, so you can't download it.

http://www.win.tue.nl/cgi-bin/usr/sequoia/download3.cgi

Knowing the big files, is only half the answer, because
you also have to know what they do and what they're for.
You can't go around deleting just anything, without getting
a surprise later (like when you reboot the computer).

Paul
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b