From: childofthe1980s on
Hello:

We have had SQL 2005 (9.00.4053) installed and running without issue for
almost a couple of years. Today, I found a couple of issues.

First, I tried to stop the SQL Server services by right-clicking in SQL
Server Management Studio and choosing "Stop". Although I was logged in as
"sa", I was told that I could not stop the service and the message indicated
that access was denied. (I worked around this, by stopping and starting SQL
in the Services applet of Administrative Tools in Control Panel.)

Also, the weekly maintenance plan that runs every week on Sunday morning
failed for the first time in two years. The SQL error log stated: "Problems
with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set
correctly, or connection not established correctly."

Any ideas on either of these two issues?

childofthe1980s
From: Erland Sommarskog on
childofthe1980s (childofthe1980s(a)discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> First, I tried to stop the SQL Server services by right-clicking in SQL
> Server Management Studio and choosing "Stop". Although I was logged in
> as "sa", I was told that I could not stop the service and the message
> indicated that access was denied. (I worked around this, by stopping
> and starting SQL in the Services applet of Administrative Tools in
> Control Panel.)

When you stop or start services, this has nothing to do with how you are
logged into SQL Server, but all that matters is how you are logged into
Windows. If you are Vista or Win2008 or Win7, you probably need to start
SSMS with "Run as Admistrator" from the context menu.

Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
From: childofthe1980s on
Thanks, Erland.