From: Raj on
Our devs would like to stay on SQL 2005 all the way until 2014 or so.. They
believe they will retire the app by then. What should we keep them informed
about as far as the cons of that approach ?

I understand mainstream support comes to an end next year... and we can go
extended support ... What does that really mean ? Are they the same kind of
support from MS ? I understand they wont get the new features,etc.. and they
don't care.. So I'm looking at some potential operational/licensing/support
issues that we need to consider if we do decide to run with SQL 2005 for the
next 5 years or so...

From: Tom Cooper on
The differences between mainstream and extended support is discussed at
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy. The dates for support timelines
for various products/versions can be found at
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeselect (you'll find SQL 2005 by clicking
on More-Servers in the Server category. You are right, the final date for
mainstream support for SQL 2005 is April 12, 2011 and the final date for
extended support is April 12, 2016.

Tom

From: GS on
may be off topic.
I believe we have heard that a particular app will retire by certain date.
however, look at the number legacy app out there people thought would be
obsolete but still in use., worse the horrendous effort spent in keeping
them running

From: Geoff Schaller on
Raj,

What it really means is that it will cost you 10 times over the cost of
upgrading to SQL Server 2008 and whatever it is that comes out next. You
will want fixes for things long since fixed in later versions and will
struggle to find staff that can remember that far back as time goes
further forward (or worse... get stuck with 'old' staff that couldn't
keep up :-) ).

Irrespective of the success of 2005, 2008 has productivity benefits for
the developer and DBA and a whole new generation better reports. Reports
alone are worth the upgrade but there are other features (indexing,
compression, SSIS, agent management, cpu efficiency, ram management,
etc...)

Upgrading is cheap and simple. I am struggling to see why a company
would resist. It isn't a case of jumping every version as it lands
(although we like doing that) but you're talking about a decade. In
computing terms that is positively an eon.

Geoff Schaller
Software Objectives