From: cw on
I have an 8 core SQL2005 EE server on Win2003 EE with 16GB of memory. Is it
a problem if I have the SQL Server set to use 14GBs of the memory leaving
2GBs for the OS?
I can see where the SQL server is using the 14GBs and wonder if there are
times when the server begins to have memory pressure issues. Use AWE to
allocate memory is not turned on.

Thanks

From: TheSQLGuru on
We are missing information to give you best advice:

1) 32 bit or 64 bit?
2) what else is running on the server?
3) I would think 2GB is insufficient for all non sql server buffer pool
stuff. I would start with 12GB and then monitor various memory and paging
metrics to see if you need to go lower.

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.

From: Villi Bernaroli on
TheSQLGuru wrote:

> We are missing information to give you best advice:
>
> 1) 32 bit or 64 bit?

I think he must be on a 64bit PC, otherwise he would never see that much RAM

> 2) what else is running on the server?
> 3) I would think 2GB is insufficient for all non sql server buffer
> pool stuff. I would start with 12GB and then monitor various memory
> and paging metrics to see if you need to go lower.

My same opinion: trial and error.
--
Villi Bernaroli, Italy
VFP, SOAP, MS SQLserver, MySQL, Oracle

From: TheSQLGuru on
> I think he must be on a 64bit PC, otherwise he would never see that much
> RAM

that is not correct. 32 bit with /PAE and AWE enabled can use way more than
16GB

--
Kevin G. Boles
Indicium Resources, Inc.