From: John Couch on
We recently had an audit done and they came back from some ESM tool and said
that this should be disabled. Here are my questions:

1. Why? Does anyone know?

2. The only thing I could find that this is in reference too is when using
Linked Servers. We don't use any linked servers on this box. Is there any
other time this would come into play?

3. I assume if the linked servers is the only time, then basically it is
saying I just couldn't open query analyzer and execute a query against the
linked server, it would have to come from a compiled stored procedure. Is
that true?

Here is the article I found and am referencing.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327489

Thanks in advance for your input.
From: John Bell on

"John Couch" <JohnCouch(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We recently had an audit done and they came back from some ESM tool and
> said
> that this should be disabled. Here are my questions:
>
> 1. Why? Does anyone know?
>
> 2. The only thing I could find that this is in reference too is when using
> Linked Servers. We don't use any linked servers on this box. Is there any
> other time this would come into play?
>
> 3. I assume if the linked servers is the only time, then basically it is
> saying I just couldn't open query analyzer and execute a query against the
> linked server, it would have to come from a compiled stored procedure. Is
> that true?
>
> Here is the article I found and am referencing.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327489
>

> Thanks in advance for your input.

Hi John

A good tool should really tell you exactly what is wrong, how to fix it and
why.

If you look at the information at the bottom of your link, then you will see
it's only when you use OPENROWSET or OPENDATASOURCE that the query is not
allowed. Using a four part name should work fine wether it's from SSMS or a
stored procedure.

John