From: Greg on
All of my databases are currently in SQL Server 2005. Thus, I have SQL Server
2005 Management Studio installed on my machine to connect to my SQL Server
2005 instances. We now have a SQL Server 2008 instance setup and I want to
know if I connect to a SQL Server 2008 database via my current Management
Studio? Should I be upgrading to the 2008 version?

Also, is it possible to create Maintenace Packages to backup my SQL Server
2005 database from my SQL Server 2008 server? I want to start setting up new
Maintenance Plans on the 2008 box if that's possible?

Finally, I have SQL Server 2005 Express installed on my personal Notebook at
home so that I can work on my 2005 database at home when necessary. I'd like
to upgrade my SQL Server to 2008, but I still need to be able to use 2005.
Can I install SQL Server 2008 on my notebook with 2005 and run both instances
when necessary? I'm running Windows Vista Enterprise 64-Bit Edition.

Thanks.
--
Greg Setnes
cSharpWeb Developers
From: Jeroen Mostert on
On 2010-04-22 21:01, Greg wrote:
> All of my databases are currently in SQL Server 2005. Thus, I have SQL Server
> 2005 Management Studio installed on my machine to connect to my SQL Server
> 2005 instances. We now have a SQL Server 2008 instance setup and I want to
> know if I connect to a SQL Server 2008 database via my current Management
> Studio?

You can't.

> Should I be upgrading to the 2008 version?

Yes. The 2008 Management Studio is fully compatible with 2005.

> Also, is it possible to create Maintenace Packages to backup my SQL Server
> 2005 database from my SQL Server 2008 server? I want to start setting up new
> Maintenance Plans on the 2008 box if that's possible?

This should work. If the 10.0 Native Client is installed on a 2005 server,
it should even work the other way around (a 2005 server issuing backup
commands to a 2008 server), though I haven't tested either scenario.

> Finally, I have SQL Server 2005 Express installed on my personal Notebook at
> home so that I can work on my 2005 database at home when necessary. I'd like
> to upgrade my SQL Server to 2008, but I still need to be able to use 2005.
> Can I install SQL Server 2008 on my notebook with 2005 and run both instances
> when necessary? I'm running Windows Vista Enterprise 64-Bit Edition.

This is no problem at all. You just have to make sure that either you do not
run the servers concurrently, or you give them unique ports and/or instance
names, just as you would need to do if you had two instances with the same
version.

--
J.

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Jeroen Mostert (jmostert(a)xs4all.nl) writes:
> On 2010-04-22 21:01, Greg wrote:
>> All of my databases are currently in SQL Server 2005. Thus, I have SQL
>> Server 2005 Management Studio installed on my machine to connect to my
>> SQL Server 2005 instances. We now have a SQL Server 2008 instance setup
>> and I want to know if I connect to a SQL Server 2008 database via my
>> current Management Studio?
>
> You can't.

This is incorrect. But you must make sure that you have SP3 of the SQL 2005
tools on your box. SSMS 2005 SP2 cannot connect to SQL 2008.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

From: Jeroen Mostert on
On 2010-04-22 23:42, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Jeroen Mostert (jmostert(a)xs4all.nl) writes:
>> On 2010-04-22 21:01, Greg wrote:
>>> All of my databases are currently in SQL Server 2005. Thus, I have SQL
>>> Server 2005 Management Studio installed on my machine to connect to my
>>> SQL Server 2005 instances. We now have a SQL Server 2008 instance setup
>>> and I want to know if I connect to a SQL Server 2008 database via my
>>> current Management Studio?
>>
>> You can't.
>
> This is incorrect. But you must make sure that you have SP3 of the SQL 2005
> tools on your box. SSMS 2005 SP2 cannot connect to SQL 2008.

Oh, that's good to know. Obviously I've never tried beyond SP2, as I imagine
many others haven't.

--
J.