From: Bero on
My current backups are stored here S:\backup\retail123.bak.
I want to over write this backup with S:\backup\retail.bak using INIT.

My question is will this make two copies (retail123.bak, retail.bak)
or will this overwrite the existing retail123.bak and saves only one
backup i.e. retail.bak. Do I need to add SKIP command also so that it
will overwrite any backup exists in that folder with retail name?

Please clarify..
From: John Bell on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:45:58 -0700 (PDT), Bero
<robertatnova(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>My current backups are stored here S:\backup\retail123.bak.
>I want to over write this backup with S:\backup\retail.bak using INIT.
>
>My question is will this make two copies (retail123.bak, retail.bak)
>or will this overwrite the existing retail123.bak and saves only one
>backup i.e. retail.bak. Do I need to add SKIP command also so that it
>will overwrite any backup exists in that folder with retail name?
>
>Please clarify..

If you specify a different file name the old file will not be
overwritten. How do you expect SQL Server to know about it?
You will have two files but they will hold different backups.

If you have a maintenance plan that deletes files of a certain age the
old file will eventually be deleted or you can manually remove the
file.

John