From: Gerard on
Help!

I've just installed .net 3.5 on a Windows Server 2003 box. Had .Net 2
installed previously, including SQL Express 2005.

Rebooted after install of 3.5, but SQL Server Express 2005 is prevented from
starting. Anyone any ideas? I've put some of the errors from the error log
below.

Many thanks
Gerard

Unable to cycle error log file from 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG' to 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG.1' due to OS error '32(error not found)'. A
process outside of SQL Server may be preventing SQL Server from reading the
files. As a result, errorlog entries may be lost and it may not be possible
to view some SQL Server errorlogs. Make sure no other processes have locked
the file with write-only access."

The SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) service terminated with service-specific error
17058 (0x42A2).

niterrlog: Could not open error log file 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG'. Operating system error = 32(error not
found).

I'm also getting this new error, not sure if it has anything to do with it:
The registry key for IIS subauthenticator is not configured correctly on
local machine, the anonymous password sync feature is disabled.

From: Alexey Smirnov on
On Dec 15, 1:11 pm, Gerard <Ger...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Help!
>
> I've just installed .net 3.5 on a Windows Server 2003 box. Had .Net 2
> installed previously, including SQL Express 2005.
>
> Rebooted after install of 3.5, but SQL Server Express 2005 is prevented from
> starting. Anyone any ideas? I've put some of the errors from the error log
> below.
>
> Many thanks
> Gerard
>
> Unable to cycle error log file from 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
> Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG' to 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
> Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG.1' due to OS error '32(error not found)'. A
> process outside of SQL Server may be preventing SQL Server from reading the
> files. As a result, errorlog entries may be lost and it may not be possible
> to view some SQL Server errorlogs. Make sure no other processes have locked
> the file with write-only access."
>
> The SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) service terminated with service-specific error
> 17058 (0x42A2).
>
> niterrlog: Could not open error log file 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
> Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG'. Operating system error = 32(error not
> found).
>
> I'm also getting this new error, not sure if it has anything to do with it:
> The registry key for IIS subauthenticator is not configured correctly on
> local machine, the anonymous password sync feature is disabled.

Gerard,

I think the error is pretty straightforward - sql account has no
rights on the log directory. If you use the Network Service as a
service account for SQL Express (see Control Panel - Services - SQL
Server (SQL Express) - Log On), check what permissions it has on the
log directory or change the service account to either local or domain
account.
From: Gerard on
Hi Alexey,

I tried changing SQL Server to run under the the local system account, which
never worked either. So tried to change it back again to Network Service and
now it won't even let me do that either, giving me this error:

WMI Provider Error

Buggar.

If I uninstalled SQL Express and then reinsalled it, would that work?

Thanks
Gerard

From: Alexey Smirnov on
On Dec 15, 3:13 pm, Gerard <Ger...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi Alexey,
>
> I tried changing SQL Server to run under the the local system account, which
> never worked either. So tried to change it back again to Network Service and
> now it won't even let me do that either, giving me this error:
>
> WMI Provider Error
>
> Buggar.
>
> If I uninstalled SQL Express and then reinsalled it, would that work?
>
> Thanks
> Gerard
>

> "Alexey Smirnov" wrote:
> > On Dec 15, 1:11 pm, Gerard <Ger...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > Help!
>
> > > I've just installed .net 3.5 on a Windows Server 2003 box. Had .Net 2
> > > installed previously, including SQL Express 2005.
>
> > > Rebooted after install of 3.5, but SQL Server Express 2005 is prevented from
> > > starting. Anyone any ideas? I've put some of the errors from the error log
> > > below.
>
> > > Many thanks
> > > Gerard
>
> > > Unable to cycle error log file from 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
> > > Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG' to 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
> > > Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG.1' due to OS error '32(error not found)'. A
> > > process outside of SQL Server may be preventing SQL Server from reading the
> > > files. As a result, errorlog entries may be lost and it may not be possible
> > > to view some SQL Server errorlogs. Make sure no other processes have locked
> > > the file with write-only access."
>
> > > The SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) service terminated with service-specific error
> > > 17058 (0x42A2).
>
> > > niterrlog: Could not open error log file 'c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
> > > Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\ERRORLOG'. Operating system error = 32(error not
> > > found).
>
> > > I'm also getting this new error, not sure if it has anything to do with it:
> > > The registry key for IIS subauthenticator is not configured correctly on
> > > local machine, the anonymous password sync feature is disabled.
>
> > Gerard,
>
> > I think the error is pretty straightforward - sql account has no
> > rights on the log directory. If you use the Network Service as a
> > service account for SQL Express (see Control Panel - Services - SQL
> > Server (SQL Express) - Log On), check what permissions it has on the
> > log directory or change the service account to either local or domain
> > account.- Hide quoted text -

if I were you I would try reinstall it, perhaps it would be easiest way
From: Gerard on
Hi Alexy,

The problem was the ERRORLOG file in the logs directory. It was 300Megs and
SQL couldn't cope with the file being that large. I renamed it, and then SQL
started fine!

Thanks for all your help - I must remember to read error logs better!

Cheers,
Gerard