From: Darin on
i have a question and i hope i can do what i want.

We have a distributor (A) w/ 2 subscribers (B & C). we are upgrading
from SQL 2000 to 2005.

I have removed replication on all three servers. Upon rebooting C the
network card crapped out and now i can't connect to it at all.

What i want to do is upgrade A and B to SQL 2005, and setup replication
between those two. When C comes back online, upgrade it to SQL 2005 and
push the subscription to that machine. Nothing is changing data-wise on
C because it is down.

When replication gets setup on C (let's say Wednesday) will all of the
changes that occurred on A and B get transferred automatically to C? I
sure hope so, otherwise i have more work to do.

TIA

Darin

From: Michael Parkinson Michael on
You're likely making it more difficult than it needs to be. 1st, get A
upgraded from 2000 to 2005, so that you have a starting point. Separately,
upgrade B as well. Once, that's done, set up replication on B as a
subscribing server to A. When you get the NIC squared away on C, then after
it's on 2005 as well, add it as a subscriber to A. Keep in mind that
replication is not the same as clustering, if that's what you're trying to
end with; changes on B will only show up on C because both are subscribers to
A.

Earlier this year, I ran into a similar situation, only we had to upgrade
our 'A' from 2000 to 2005, then get our 'B' through 'W' to replicate. Those
20 or so subscribers were using SQL 2005 Server Express. Keep in mind that
the publisher needs to be beefy enough to handle the number of subscribers
adequately. Also, make sure that you have your publishing and subscribing
servers on the same version/revision of SQL. SQL 2005 SP3 would be
9.00.4035. That will make your process a whole lot easier.

Good luck.

From: Darin on
i got everything working and the customer is happy - which of course
makes me happy.

Darin