From: Alfred on
It appears that the service broker newsgroup may be dead ?

I apologize if some view this a cross posting...

I have a process whereby I would like to accomplish the following...

The setting includes many client workstations using a VB.net application to
communicates with a database via ADO connections.

The workstations will be adding "transactional" information into some sql
server tables.

Been there, done that... so far, so good...

Unfortunately, that is only half of the "transaction"...

Once the first half of the transaction has been successfully committed to
the sql tables, elements of this data must then be used to create the second
half of the transaction which includes pushing it into an ERP system (via a
COM oriented procedure). Actually, what I would like to do is invoke a
second VB.net program or a web service using data from the sql tables. Is
this possible ?

All the examples I have seen thus far show TSQL being used to update a
table.
Can you actually invoke a vb.net program or web service using the service
broker ? Should
you ? Any online samples detailing this ? Good books illustrating this
(that use vb.net as opposed to C#) ? Possible performance issues ?

I AM interested in invoking the second half of the transaction as soon as
possible following the first half of the transaction.

However, I am not interested in reversing the first half of the transaction
if the second half of the transaction is not successful.

Any advice on specifics would be appreciated !